Dry Hopping After Carbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed a Coopers IPA plus bits and would like it a bit hoppier. Have force carbed but feel it needs a bit of a kick, was wondering if adding hops after carbing is ok???

Problem would be that the beer would foam out of the keg when you added the hops (due to all the nucleation points from the hops, and the big pressure differential).

You could put the hops in a second keg and rack on top from the first keg using a counter pressure transfer (add hops to second keg, flush with CO2 then pressurise to the same pressure as the first keg, join the out from the first to the out of the second, slowly bleed pressure from a valve connected to the In of the second keg). A good idea to shorten the dip tube of the second keg by a few cm so you can easily rack off the hops).

Problem would be that the beer would foam out of the keg when you added the hops (due to all the nucleation points from the hops, and the big pressure differential).

That never happened to me. I just pulled the pressure relief valve on the keg until it stopped hissing, opened her up and poured in a coffee press worth of highly hopped hop-tea. You'd need to give it a gentle swirl though, as I found that by just pouring it in it all sank to the bottom and the first couple of glasses were spot on, but then nothing.... :(

Keg hopping is too easy. Wrap your hops in some voile or a stocking or a hopsock or a tea ball or whatever. pull the prv. open the lid and chuck them in. Put the lid back on, connect gas and then drink beer. Just don't put them in loose otherwise you'll block your dip tube.

Keg hopping is too easy. Wrap your hops in some voile or a stocking or a hopsock or a tea ball or whatever. pull the prv. open the lid and chuck them in. Put the lid back on, connect gas and then drink beer. Just don't put them in loose otherwise you'll block your dip tube.

:icon_offtopic:
Out of interest, if you've filtered the beer into the keg and then tea ball the hops, will it add a haze of some kind?

When the hop sock goes down and sits right next to the tube it becomes like a hop torpedo - every glass is filtered through the hops. Mmmmmmmm.

I did this once using a pool filter sock. Just boiled it for a few minutes and put a a stainless bolt in to weigh it down. Tied it with a piece of dental floss which I left hanging out of the keg so I could pull it out when I wanted to.

I don't think I've ever keg-hopped without carbonating first.

It will be fine, this is from experience. Only listen to advice derived from experience!

Slightly off topic but can you do his when you dry hop in a cube also? Just put them in a stocking or hop sock and throw the whole lot in? i usually dry hop loose but end up with lots of hop trub getting ino my bottles.

Slightly off topic but can you do his when you dry hop in a cube also? Just put them in a stocking or hop sock and throw the whole lot in? i usually dry hop loose but end up with lots of hop trub getting ino my bottles.

I use little offcuts (15x15cm squares) of Swiss Voile. I spray the square and a little bit of cotton string with starsan, leave for a few minutes and then drain off any excess - then tie the hops up and chuck it in.

I use little offcuts (15x15cm squares) of Swiss Voile. I spray the square and a little bit of cotton string with starsan, leave for a few minutes and then drain off any excess - then tie the hops up and chuck it in.

Cool..I have some small voille bags and will give that a try next time I dry hop.

Back