Dry Hopping Adds Bitterness?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if dry hopping adds bitterness to a beer.

From what I've read and calculations done in programs like beersmith it would seem that it doesnt. Although I have had a 1.5 Ltr bottle of Water sitting at 4*C for one week with 2g cascade flowers in it and it has taken on a decent amount of bitterness (as well as a nice aroma and flavour :p).

Does this seem right, what are your experiences?

Cheers Clint

Dry hopping, no not much. Hop tea yes quite a bit. I've been using hop tea at various stages and it can be so bitter that it puckers you up with just a half teaspoonful. Someone posted that making a hop tea and putting it in can add as much as 4 IBU to a finished beer.

In my experience it will add a lot of perceptible flavour as well as some aroma. I've not noticed extra bitteness and it doesn't make sense to me that it would.

I think the general consensus at one time was that it may enhance perceived bitterness, but not actually add many (or any) IBU's.

It possibly does so by reducing the perceived maltiness of the beer, and thus concentrating your senses on the hop flavour and bitterness. Crude analogy, but I think thats pretty much it.

Cheers - boingk

Back