Drilling Stainless Steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
step138-250x250.jpg

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?r...;product_id=114

Gunna get one of these thrown in with all my other Staino goodies for my keggle after Chrissie, hopefully do the trick :)

Whatever you do, don't get one from Bunnings.

I did, and it was blunt within seconds. I took it back, got a refund, and bought a bit from Trade Tools Direct. The new one went through stainless like butter.

(The one from bunnings said "steel" on it, but no mention of what steel. I'd be surprised if it even lasted long doing aluminium...)

Is this supposed to be a joke? This is a 100% serious question.

I, knowing nothing about drilling or machining, was a little shocked to read this. Would this not be bloody dangerous? Isnt kero flammable?

Kero is commonly used as a lubricant.

No you wont burst into flames.

Cheers, Hoges.

Whatever you do, don't get one from Bunnings.

I did, and it was blunt within seconds. I took it back, got a refund, and bought a bit from Trade Tools Direct. The new one went through stainless like butter.

(The one from bunnings said "steel" on it, but no mention of what steel. I'd be surprised if it even lasted long doing aluminium...)

not disputing anything, but I got mine from bunnings and it's done 10 or 15 20mm holes in through 5mm stainless and is still as keen as new --- maybe you got a bung one? or perhaps they have different brands.

I use my hole saws I got from aldi. Cuts through anything. I also use wd40 and spray as a drill.

not disputing anything, but I got mine from bunnings and it's done 10 or 15 20mm holes in through 5mm stainless and is still as keen as new --- maybe you got a bung one? or perhaps they have different brands.

Yeah, either of those 2 is possible!

I think it was about $20, from memory...

thanks for the tips all. Ive been blunting all my bunnings "metal-cutting" bits. To be honest I probably started off drilling too fast and hardened the SS though. I think im gonna get one of those step bits online.

Cheers, homebrew for all.

I use for drilling , tapping , machining s/s, the old fashioned lard from the supermarket, works fantastic
It stinks a bit but it has worked for me for about 35 years,, I find kero is to thin,, Kero is usually used for aluminium , My old man used to spit on the drill bit,, So anything is better than nothing

bjay

thanks for the tips all. Ive been blunting all my bunnings "metal-cutting" bits. To be honest I probably started off drilling too fast and hardened the SS though. I think im gonna get one of those step bits online.

Cobalt drill bits/holesaws are the way to go with stainless steel. You want to go as slow as possible with as much pressure as you can put on. And use lotsa cutting oil or similar. If things start getting hot, stop for a break. As it's the heat the hardens the SS.

I, knowing nothing about drilling or machining, was a little shocked to read this. Would this not be bloody dangerous? Isnt kero flammable?

Kero is an abrasive, not a lubricant. This is why it works very well with stainless and aluminium, as both materials are very gummy when it comes to cutting

WD40 works well as a cutting compound, and either a step drill or hole saw will work fine.

+1 :icon_cheers:

Useing kero is it used alot when drilling and maching ally (I am a fitter machinst by trade)

I would tend to use proper cutting fluid for drilling holes but if it thin walled vessel anyting should be fine so long as it acts as a lube

Latest posts

Back