double lager with a LME boost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewy

Reaction score
50ltr fermenter
2 tins of Morgans Queensland gold
1 can of coopers light LME
12 grams of hop pellets (cluster)
1 bag of brew enhancer
S23 yeast

Any ideas of the best way to make all of that into a drinkable midstrenghth?

I'm guessing the brew enhancer is a 1kg combination of light DME, maltodextrin and dextrose? If so, you could do this:

1 tin of Morgans Qld Gold
1 tin of Coopers LME
Brew Enhancer
Made up to 40 litres in the fermenter

You'd end up with a 1.034/1.010 (3.5% after bottle conditioning) beer with 13 IBU, pretty much spot on for the "Light Australian Lager" style. I assume you're fermenting with temp control given the lager yeast? I don't know how big your pack of S23 is, but you'd likely need more than 1 for that large a batch.

EDIT: mrmalty.com suggests you'd need just under 3 packets of 11.5gm S23 yeast for a 40 litre batch....you got that many?

Very nice carniebrew no worries about the yeast I've got a cake of it in the other fermenter.. I just wasn't sure how to use up the LME so I thought I'd ask.. The brew enhancer I've got is the lager model.. That recipe really does impress me thks mate...

My fermenter actually holds 60ltrs with plenty of head space so I could tip the other tin in and add another 600 grams of enhancer and tadah were brewing!

Yeah just remember if you add the other tin of XXXX oops I mean Queenslander Gold that you're getting a big bump in IBU because it's a pre-hopped kit. For example, this variation on the recipe:

2 tins of Morgans Qld Gold
1 tin of Coopers LME
1kg Brew Enhancer
Made up to 50 litres in the fermenter

Would end up something like 3.8% with 21 IBU, a bit more than the "Light Australian Lager" style calls for, but you might reckon this is a good thing! You could even try dry hopping it with those cluster pellets, not that 12gm would do a lot in 50 litres of beer...

Latest posts

Back