Dont Loose Your Wort To Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small BIAB bag that my gf made for me when I was making extracts in a 12ltr pot. I might just hook it up to the top of the fermenter and pour into it. How many micron would you estimate swiss voille at? Would it be effect enough for removing hot and cold break from the wort?

I've been thinking about this. Last brew I did I poured through the hop-sock, but its pretty obvious that the sock itself isn't fine enough for the break material and its only when the hop matter starts to clog up the hole and form a "filter" layer that the break doesn't pretty much run through. If you jiggle the hop sock or get the wort to run up to a fresh bit of the filter cloth, then what comes through is cloudy. I get the same thing if I try to use pantyhose material.

I'm looking at getting a conical kitchen sieve and some of the liner papers that commercial kitchens use to filter the oil from deep fryers.

Is that what you are using Screwy? or have you got a seive made out of really fine mesh that does the job by itself, stuff like the "hopstopper" is made out of.

Oh, and I was listening to Graham Sanders last podcast and he was saying that he's just modified his system to include a "termi-mesh" screen for filtering out pellet hops.. perhaps that stuff would do the trick for break as well?

Edit --- just found the thing I was talking about on E-bay. Its here if you want look

Or in fact these paint filters

It's unlikely that you'll be able to filter out anything that remains in solution... :D

I use a lingerie wash bag which is very fine and catches most of what isn't in solution. If I am NoChillin' to rule, I filter into the fermenter.

Recently with my nano-brews I have been filtering the hot wort directly into the fermenter, which I then chill in a trough or similar. I end up with some break in the bottom that forms after the filtering, but that stays there with the yeast cake.

I like the bag filter idea a lot because you can empty the yuck out of it then throw it into the domestic washing machine and it is the filter that keeps on giving...

What about a sand filter? (I'm only half joking.)

my trub usually packs down firm. it's never loose ;)

Slightly OT I know (?) but the above rang a bell ;) ------------Linky
I particularly like Vlad's post about aquarium gravel. No reason why this should not work for filtering trub but perhaps not for "No Chill"?
How DID it go Pumpy?

That is an old one Ross actually tried the 'Gravel Buster beer' it was really clear

but have not tried it ever again

Can we forget it now :unsure:

pumpy :D

Or you can be lazy like me and just pump the whole lot into the fermenter and rack after a week or so.
I'm with u razz, Theres enough crap the clean up on brew day without worrying about this.
Although, great idea Pumpy, I with give that a go on the big tripple brew day coming up.

Steve

I do a little of both. I run off from the kettle through a pair of chillout-3's, using a peristaltic pump for suction. It may take a while, but from flame-out to the end of the runout there's plenty of time for things to settle. My kettle drain is 2cm off the bottom so all of the particulate has a place to go.

I pitch slurry, and then rack into secondary after a couple days depending on yeast activity. If I look for a really clear beer I fire it through filters.

I'm willing to take some loss, as I brew in good size batches for a home brew operation. Once I get over the 300 liter a week production rate I will most likely start paying attention to how to capture a few more liters and improve efficiency.

Cheers,
Will

With my bit of bent copper pipe as a pick up I find that there is only approx 1 litre left in the kettle anyway.
It still a great idea of Pumpy's for people who have a lot of trub loss.

Steve

Back