Does Warm Beer Taste Thats Different?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimbymoonshine

Reaction score
HI all,

I have a lager being lagered at the moment. at the end of my diacetyl rest i took a sample and tasted the warm sample from the trial jar... it tasted crap, bitter and astringent.

HOwever when u drink warm beer it always tastes like poo, what is your experience between the taste of trial samples (from FG readings etc) and the final chilled product?

Cheers

:party:

Is this a loaded question, 'cos you're in the UK? ;)

Yes, lagers generally smell and taste awful at room temperature. Classic example is any of the megaswill like VB that practically needs to be served at 1C to numb your tastebuds, otherwise you realise how unpalateable it is.

And yes, this is not so much a problem with ales, especially cask conditioned ones from the UK. I'd much rather drink one of those at room temperature than any lager.

Does this mean that cask ales are better than lagers? Yes of course, but don't tell anyone I said that. :ph34r:

However, you mentioned bitter and astringent. I don't think these are qualities that are enhanced with warming. Meaning your beer might just be too bitter and astringent when served cold too. In fact, when tasting samples warm, and in particular fresh wort, one of the main things I am testing is the bitterness.

Berp.

Back