Does This Sound Right, Very High Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have just (wednesday) put down another kit as follows.

Thomas Cooper Premium selections Sparkiling Ale.

12 gram hops

1.5 kg or Coopers exta ligh liquid malt

500 grams of light dry malt powder

300 g Dextrose

(the two dry ing were packaged as OOMPH from Marks home brew in Newcastle) I am only guessing the exact ingrediants but think this is pretty close.

made up to 21 liters

SG at 20 deg C was 1.068

I checked it three times, checked the hyrometer in water and it sits where it has always sat (0.998)

I was expecting around 1.046 -48, this will be a stay at home beer I feel.

I check the SG today (two days) and it 1.046.

Is in a cool box at 20 deg C

I plan to rack at day 5, then keep at 20 deg for 7-10 days .

I was going to keg this one, but the thought of wasting it with a foaming setup bring tears to my eyes, so into the bottle it will go, I will only keg cheap crap from now until I get it sorted(if I get it sorted)

I did almost the same ingredients 1.5kg light malt extract
500g light dry malt sg of 1.068 from MHB shop and just check hydrometer reading been 9 days but in secondary now and it's at 1.018 so fAR A 6.6% beer my biggest beer to date mine is a draught recipe and as I dont have kegs I am bottling after another 12 days so it will be 3 weeks all up in fermenter 1week primary, 1 week secondary, both at 18-20*, and 3rd week Cold conditioning 4-5* before bulk primm and bottling.........

Yep, that'd be right.

Crikey you're gunna end up with ine strong brew there mate!

Had you stopped at 1.5kg liq malt, your OG would've been about 1048 - 1050.
My punt for FG = 1014 - 1016. But don't take that as gospel.

Let us know what FG settles at.....

I.B.

That sounds about bang on for 21L.

Probably will finish around 1.015 depending on what yeast you use.

Just my opinion here, my ales have cleaned up better when I leave it on the primary yeast cake for at least a few days after fermentation is finished.

The yeast was a kit yeast in beermakers draught can (from MHB shop) 23 litre brew

will let you know what the fg ends up being in a week and a half

UPDATE:

5 days in primary, OG is now 1.014-16 (hard to read), still Very Very cloudy, I have to Rack today, as im at work for the next three days from 5am till 830pm, so no brewwing will happen then,

Hopfully the transfer (rack) will awaken the yeast withing and knock it down to about !.010 and clear up like all the others do.

I am then going to Keg this puppy, as I have nailed the pouring drama's.

A nice stay at home 7.5-8%alc sparkling ale, YUM.

Now to get some Middie glasses.

G'day Eugene, I calculated 6.7-7.1% with those figures. I wouldn't think the gravity will drop anymore given the amount of body you have in it. You may be right about racking it, but I would expect that it will start to clear. Don't be in any hurry to drink it, it may taste a little like vegemite for a while. :D

Back