Dodgy Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee..... I thought kegging was supposed to be easier and less cleaning than bottling.... :ph34r:

It is. But if an infection hits, particularly a strong one like this that reappears, you need to knock it out.....if it was bottles, he'd be doing the same thing, but 30 odd times. ;)

What sanitiser are you using Ben?

Happy to give you 50mL of orthophosphoric acid (85%). Cost me next to nix and 50mL goes a long way!

And noticed last night when i about to refill a keg that it was sparkling clean except for the dip tube which had a nice crusty layer on it!

I am generally pretty good and cleaning them but must have missed that one so pulled it apart and gave it a good scrub and sanitise and its now full of nice tasting beer :D

Just a quick question. At what rate should napisan be mixed up at for keg cleaning?

Thanks

Just a quick question. At what rate should napisan be mixed up at for keg cleaning?

Thanks

Rate?

People measure out napisan?

A few shakes of the container and about that much water is my normal method. But like my cooking :p

After all, its a cleaner, not a sanitiser.

What sanitiser are you using Ben?

Happy to give you 50mL of orthophosphoric acid (85%). Cost me next to nix and 50mL goes a long way!

And noticed last night when i about to refill a keg that it was sparkling clean except for the dip tube which had a nice crusty layer on it!

I am generally pretty good and cleaning them but must have missed that one so pulled it apart and gave it a good scrub and sanitise and its now full of nice tasting beer :D

Im using starsan, just noticed this morning that after i have had it soaking at pressure for 2 days, the rubber bottom was full of water. :eek: So my thought is that there has been a slight hole in the keg and beer has been getting in the rubber bottom, not getting cleaned and going funky, i have never noticed this before as i dont take the keg out till its empty. Then when new beer goes in the infection stays. Was really weird i pushed a small hole into the rubber bottom and it let a crap load of water out. So this keg is now out off commision. Looks like it will be my new herms vessel.

BTW the new keg i put back on the cleaned line is drinking nicely. Hopefully problem solved.

Cheers
Scotsman

Back