Diy Grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think the optimum roller length would be. Ian going to have a go at this project.

So I am thinking around 30mm dia at 150 long, would give me 30x125 of crushing area. I agree on the speed, I think I'll make it so I can hand crank it too, just in case my drill goes to fast.

Question now is; would a third lower dollar be the bee's knee's or just complicating things.

Oh and I am going SS rollers too.

My "Tony mill" has 2" knurnel SS rollers

Roller speed is about 150 rpm.

Gap is 0.9mm. Being a sparkie type guy I use .9 mm wire to set the gap.

They are only 200mm long.

Chews 5kg in 1m.

Bastow is close to the money in terms of crush. Prob a bit fine.

All mills are different. Depends on roller size,knurling,gap,speed..etc.

My advice is build one from whatever you can get your hands on, then tune it to suit.

Hand cranking sucks balls.

XD falcon wiper motor is you friend. And a ten speed bike gears and chain.

Have a favour to call in, so trying to score a 32mm SS bar 500mm long. Can knurl at work, thinking of stepping the ends and running on precision bearings. Assume that I drive only one roller and the other one or two will follow based on the grain being rolled through.

You really only need 2 rollers.

Make a frame with an elongated slot for your 2nd roller and have a bolt that sits horizontal against the outer bearing shell with a lock nut on the frame on both sides.

2 rollers is all that is necessary. Only drive one. Mine is about 5 or 6 in wide, probably a bit wide as a fair bit of torque is required. Bearings would be nice but not really necessary, I had access to bearings but also brass and decided that either way it will outlast me... I hope. Good luck. Its not that hard. A week on night shift and it will be finished. ;)

Started about 67 finished about 65.5, I did a fair bit of checking temp and it is also cold where I live ATM. I think the finish crush and using a bag inside the tune as well as a good batch spare helped. My tun is an old rectangular Esky, ball valve in the side and some stainless braid, sourced from a length of cable, as the filter.

Ducatiboy stu said:
85% is awsome.

I might try that myself.

What temp did you mash at...

Ok, I'll still go for the 30 to 35mm bar, but ask for less. Although if I got more I am sure they'd be someone happy to take it off my hands ;)

I have access to precision bearings but not brass, so that will be how I do that. We will have a hole cut for one in a fixed place, mill out a slot for the other, with an adjusting screw. Replicate, build a frame, bolt the whole thing together and make the hopper. Guy who is going to knurl the bar is going to make me a quick cad drawing, I'll share that if anyone wants to have a crack. Assuming it works :)

1.5 is ok

Modern malts do most conversion in 20mins.

Might try the voil bag in my false bottom square esky with a fladle floor.

I found more flour gave better eff% but made sparging more difficult.

I used to batch with boiling water, stir, let sit, drain and re-circ untill clear then run into kettle.

Repeat until you have kettle volume

With the voile you don't have to let it sit just get the boiled water in and wide open throttle the tap. Then repeat. It went a bit slow at the start I just lifted the bag a little and away it went, then I dropped the bag back down and it continued.

Back