Diy Grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastow

Reaction score
Ive been lurking a bit lately and thought I would add some thing. I made this mill at work. Works great. Have just been doing a bit of fine tuning this arvo. I also milled a Pillar of Stout to brew tomorrow evening.

1401098179043.jpg

1401098198131.jpg

1401098218407.jpg

1401098238682.jpg

1401098258342.jpg

1401098275035.jpg

Also just realised I put this in the wrong section, can a mod please move it? :huh::ph34r:

Bastow said:
Also just realised I put this in the wrong section, can a mod please move it? :huh::ph34r:
Moved :)

Basically you just have to break it down to its components then make each one. You start with the two rollers. Bigger is better, I think I used 30mm round bar stepped down for the axles and left the shaft for the drill. You then knurl the rollers. You obviously need a metal lathe. Next are the side plates. I fixed the drive roller and made bushes out of brass for both sides. Then you have to elongate the non drive end for adjustment, using a mill. Grub screws hold the drive bushes. And bolts tapped into the end for the adjustable roller. Then I braced the whole lot with the angle you can see. This held the plates together. Making the hopper is a bit of dicking around, I used perspex, aluminium angle, aluminium bar and rivets.

Good luck. :beer:

Pillar of Stout...let me know...

What size rollers and gap have you got

That crush is very fine..

Flour is good...but only to about 30%

But..flour gives better extraction...but is a PITA to sparge... Bit of science in it...

If your batch sparging, then I suggest you stir your mash,let sit, then drain. And recirculate your sparge over the grain bed.

25 mm I think, and licence size gap. My drivers licence goes in with not too much force. I made it last year and have forgotten what size exactly they were. It is probably a bit finer than last time I used it. I have done a bit of adjustment to the rollers and hopper. Also screwed it to my bit of wood. Do you recon I should go more course?

Is it ajustable....

My 2 roller ( 50mm knurled solid stainless ) runs 0.9mm at 150rmp on the rollers

Yeah it is adjustable, ill get the verniers onto my licence tomorrow and see what that is. They are probably 30mm.... Yeah I just pulse my drill, it can get a bit stinky though, but it eats grain like a fat kid with cake.

Mmmmmmm stainless. :icon_drool2:

You need a constant slow feed.

Gap is a bit relative to roller size and speed.

You want a slow roller speed so that it actually crushes the grains, rather than make flour.

Its a fine line. And different grains crush differently.

About 0.8mm, i will try with a cordless drill set to "low" next time. It does have a tendancy to make too much flour with the 240v drill.

How much grain does the hopper carry?
For my 2 cents (and your consideration), you may have to add a vertical extension later, for extra capacity.

On my mill, the hopper holds about 7.5 kg malt. May vary if wheat is used, but hardly ever maxed out, so far.

Bastow said:
Ive been lurking a bit lately and thought I would add some thing. I made this mill at work. Works great. Have just been doing a bit of fine tuning this arvo. I also milled a Pillar of Stout to brew tomorrow evening.
Have a guess how many " mates " you now have.
Good job!

Bastow said:
Yeah it is adjustable, ill get the verniers onto my licence tomorrow and see what that is. They are probably 30mm.... Yeah I just pulse my drill, it can get a bit stinky though, but it eats grain like a fat kid with cake.

Mmmmmmm stainless. :icon_drool2:
How did you set it up for adjustment? This looks a great project. Do you adjust from the Allen key screws on the side?

Yeah the adjustment is via the cap head screws on the side with a nut to hold the frame tight. The brass bush slides in and out and is forced out by the grain, if you know what i mean. After what D Stu said about my crush i put some swiss voile in my dodgy mash tun to avoid a stuck mash and batch sparged. I pulled 85% brewhouse efficiency, i think. My last batch was only 58%. So i'm onto something.

85% is awsome.

I might try that myself.

What temp did you mash at...

Back