Different Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thylacine

Reaction score
Put down just my seventh brew three days ago. Krausen is elevated, big bubbles and quite active as per previous batches. (viewed through clear fermenter lid)

However this time I just observed a small BRIGHT/LIGHT greenish patch on the surface amongst the darkest malt looking area. Doesn't look hairy. (area size about a quarter of one's little finger nail) No other occurances.

My initial reaction was to sanitise an instrument and remove the area. Then thought that with the yeast currently working at a high level (krausen hasn't started dropping yet) to see if they handled it. Plus I don't know if I should remove the current CO2 barrier by opening the lid before krausen starts to drop. Or, is it something harmless and forget about it...

What do you reckon...?

Ta

Sounds like it could be some sort of hop residue. What ingreidents did you use?

Sounds like it could be some sort of hop residue. What ingreidents did you use?

30g Hallertau pellets boiled 20min; another 10g steeped for 10min. Strained into fermenter/wort; stirred.

However this time I just observed a small BRIGHT/LIGHT greenish patch on the surface amongst the darkest malt looking area. Doesn't look hairy.

What do you reckon...?

Reckon you should get an opaque lid so you don't see much and cause yourself to panic for no logical reason.

Relax, pour yourself a homebrew, and stop worrying. Otherwise like the original thylacine, you'll become extinct before your time ~!

Yep, hop residue. RDWHAHB.

Reckon you should get an opaque lid so you don't see much and cause yourself to panic for no logical reason.

Relax, pour yourself a homebrew, and stop worrying. Otherwise like the original thylacine, you'll become extinct before your time ~!

Good on ya! ;-)

But I am being true to form... 'Amateur Brewer' = "panic for no logical reason"

Good on ya! ;-)

But I am being true to form... 'Amateur Brewer' = "panic for no logical reason"

No such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers !

Adamt gave you the right answer - RDWHAHB.

But ...............

Opening the lid won't hurt, cos oxygen is lighter than carbon dioxide ..so in reality, you have to be unlucky for an infection to set in simply by opening the lid. The CO2 will sit heavily on top of the brew unless you disturb it. That said, you don't open the fermenter cos you can .. WHY TAKE THE RISK ! ...

If there is a problem in the brew, you won't save it by opening the lid and extracting something. The damage will have been done.
Remember, this is a learning experience. Enjoy it !

Latest posts

Back