Difference In Floor-malted Weyermann Bo Pils Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paying wholesale prices also tends to help...

Either way he's still paying more.

Could also be a good tax writeoff for 'quality control losses' :icon_drool2:

So Ross, When are you getting ISO:2001 accreditation? :lol:

Either way he's still paying more.

Could also be a good tax writeoff for 'quality control losses' :icon_drool2:

Yes but the wholesale price of Weyermann pils is less than what we pay retail for domestic base malt. Makes the decision a bit less difficult... ;)

So is this ross the craftbrewer bloke who the other craftbrewer says pinched his name the onee to see to get these joe white malts? I am setting up for mash brewing and would like to get some up here

personally i would always use weyermann for a 100% pils malt brew. the aussie stuff just doesn't give you the same length of finish in the mouth. most aussie micros that make pilseners with JW pils have a really flat and boring malt profile. in fact i can't think of any that actually have a good pils malt flavour. (except for the OLD matilda bay pilsener that had moravian malt).
it's totally worth it for me given the amount i brew (although i'm sure if i was running a micro i wouldn't be able to justify the extra expense)

most aussie micros that make pilseners with JW pils have a really flat and boring malt profile. in fact i can't think of any that actually have a good pils malt flavour.

Have you tried the pilsner that Gerard brews at Paddys? Its a bloody nice drop and from memory he uses only JW malts.

Have you tried the pilsner that Gerard brews at Paddys? Its a bloody nice drop and from memory he uses only JW malts.

i have had it back when he was brewing it a few years back - from memory cleanness and hop zing were the strong points rather than malt. here are my tasting notes from 2004 and 2005 on ratebeer:

2004: "very pale yellow, eversoslightly hazy, but with good head ret. simple but bracing odour of flowery saaz and grainy pils malt. flavours are likewise simple but honest, round saaz followed by meek malt followed by a reasonable bitterness. very clean."

2005: "gerards obviously cranked the hops up which is good. palate is dominated by fruity, flowery NZ saaz, finishing very bitter - its not often i think pilseners need more sweetness but i think a bit more malt would round this one out. clean and well made. good stuff."

Yes but the wholesale price of Weyermann pils is less than what we pay retail for domestic base malt. Makes the decision a bit less difficult... ;)

True, Very true.... Whats Joe White and BB again? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the Weyermann is a great product. I've used the German Pils and was very happy. But I've used JW at half the price with great success. Bottom line: do I think Weyermann is twice as good as JW? No way.

Yes I would agree I am currently using Weyerman BO-Pils ATM and my thoughts on how it stacks up after all the hype is fairly neutral. However JWM Pale is a great malt for ales and I would put it up against the imports any time.

<_<

Back