Diacetyl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
Recently received my first case of this, I think due to tubes being a bit dirty when filtering, I have since replaced them. After reading up on the topic I will put in a diacetyl rest when required and be a bit more pedantic about sanitisation. Also appears I need to start making yeast starters for bigger beers. Any other tips? I have been putting down FWK from craftbrewer recently without any issues but my own AG ipa had the diacetyl? All of these were kegged. I have also read that when bottling diacetyl can sort itself out so you may not notice any issues? Which may explain why my bottled apa beers have been fine?

From what I understand, the only way to drive off diacetyl is with a proper diacetyl rest. Anything fermented above say 16 however, shouldn't really incur a diacetyl flavour. Dirty tubes isn't something I would imagine would contribute to diacetyl flavour, possibly something else. Diacetyl can appear to subside over time with the maturation and development of other flavours I believe, but that's more of a masking than an actual reduction.

You can get diacetyl from certain contaminations, but it is usually a fermentation issue. A d-rest will clean up any ferment-derived diacetyl, you can also do a forced diacetyl test, which basically involves heating sample of your beer which will convert any diacetyl precursors into diacetyl that you can smell if present. If you pick up any diacetyl you can then do a d-rest or whatever to keep cleaning it up.

Possibility that primary fermentation should be left a few days for the yeast to absorb the diacetyl. Also watch that you are not introducing oxygen after the primary.

I had issues with lagers for a while, but found more yeast at the start, more time at fermenting temp before gently reducing the temp for lagering, and time lagering has completely solved the problem.

Thanks for the tips lads, I kegged a pilsner last week without any issues, definately something to be aware of which I wasn't previously

slcmorro said:
From what I understand, the only way to drive off diacetyl is with a proper diacetyl rest. Anything fermented above say 16 however, shouldn't really incur a diacetyl flavour. Dirty tubes isn't something I would imagine would contribute to diacetyl flavour, possibly something else. Diacetyl can appear to subside over time with the maturation and development of other flavours I believe, but that's more of a masking than an actual reduction.
Indeed, a higher temp converts the precursor quicker but its not that its not there, it can take a couple of weeks to get diacetyl levels into acceptable ranges depending on yeast strain and health etc.

If its not left for enough time, the acetolactate will convert in the keg/bottle and be very prominent.

Sometimes it is contaminations as well, if you leave it and it gets worse, its contamination.

I had a brew were i racked of the yeast way to early. The buttery flavor was overpowering. Had decided it was going to the garden ,with nothing to lose i hydrated an old pack of coopers kit yeast and tossed it in. Two days later butter tast was gone.☺

It could very well be your dirty tubes infecting your brew with pediococcus or Lactobacillus bacteria which caused your diacetyl as you suspected.

Read this article on diacetyl http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.2/fix.html
It explains all the causes of diacetyl and it has some very interesting data on taste thresholds and on yeasts that produce it at different levels. It also explains that yeasts tend to produce more if they are used over a few generations/brews. I always knew W-34/70 was the best lager yeast :) .

And this article tells you how you can very simply test your beer for it. http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/diacetyl.html

Yes, all said above is very true. It is also quite often found in the presence of Acetaldehyde, another fermentation problem where the yeast hasn't finished up properly. When these two off-flavours are present at the same time it is hard to distinguish them apart and is often taken as an infection.

Although there is more than one pathway to both problems, usually it is beer that has been taken off the yeast too soon, or cold crashing too soon or something similar. This explains why it can dissipate in bottled beer that is naturally conditioned as opposed to forced carbonated kegs.

Latest posts

Back