Diacetyl Rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a search but didn't turn up any results specific to my problem so...

I have a lager cold conditioning at 1.5c at the moment, however I didn't do a D-rest on it before ccing it. It fermented at 10c for 2 weeks and finished on par with the SG I was aiming for, however I didn't think of doing a D-rest until now. It's been ccing for 3 days... if I warmed it up to perhaps 5c, then 8c, then 12c over three days, would this be a problem?

Or should I just suck it up now and continue as I am?

Cheers!

Personally if I start out cold, I ramp it up at the end for a couple of days. Just because.
Probably put another working week on you brew if you go this way.

Alternatively, you could just taste it now.

I fermented at 10c for 2 weeks, and now it's been ccing at 1.5c for 3 days. I want to know if it's safe/smart (I know it's not best practice) to bring it back up slowly to incorporate a D-rest now that it's already chilled and most of the yeast has dropped?

If your fermentables are all fermented out, i would think there would be nothing there to do a diacetyl rest with,

Labels is one of the more knowledgeable lager brewers on this site, it might be worthwhile sending him a P.M.

It would be a shame to not do a D rest and find out down the track that you could have and should have.

I would be tasting it, see if there are any remaining byproducts that need to be cleaned up.

It's too late, just leave be. If you want to do a rest you need to lift the temp before final gravity is reached. Typically when it gets just below 1020 in a 1048 SG brew.

cheers Ross

I used W34/70 for this one.

It's definitely finished fermenting, I wouldn't have cc'ed it if it hadn't ha!

I'll leave this one to sit methinks, and just remember to do it to the next lager I brew. Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated :)

If you're bottling u can use the secondary fermentation as the d-rest. Ie yeast become active again with added fermentables. Warm bottles up to 18, d-rest problem solved

Nah, I'm kegging. I *could* bottle this one, because I don't have any spare kegs free at the moment, but kegging > bottling, every day of the week.

Couldn't I do the same with kegging, but just naturally carbonate it?

Stop stressing, if everything was fine with the ferment the chances of any issues are slim. Give it a taste if concerned & then look for answers if needed.

cheers Ross

Do a forced VDK conversion test with a small sample. Heat to 65c for about a half hour to hour and the diacetyl will rear its head if it is in there.

as ross said, if you can't pick the D now it shouldn't be an issue.

Ross said:
Stop stressing, if everything was fine with the ferment the chances of any issues are slim. Give it a taste if concerned & then look for answers if needed.

cheers Ross
Best advice EVER!

Back