Dextrose Or White Sugar For Dry Bottle Priming?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextrose or White Sugar for dry bottle priming?

• Dextrose

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • White Sugar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
my 18month old bottling assistant took a likeing to car drops on thw weekend (I was too lazy to batch prime). She took off with the whole bag Id just opened and stuck some in her gob and threw the rest in the garden before I could stop her. damn lolly looking things. I suppose thats another vote why to use sugar not carb drops. or its a vote for force carb kegging!

:lol:

Last sunday I was putting all my bottles into the laundry tub for sanitising, when my 21month old daughter came in. She saw what I was doing, and jumped right in alongside me, passing me longnecks from the crate.
I really had to step up my pace before she dropped any, but she was a great little helper indeed.

I use dextrose & bulk prime.
For no special reason but stops SWMBO getting frustrated when I keep pinching the sugar out of the cupboard.

When I keg I use sugar with one of those scoop thingies for those extra bottles.

Will probably go sugar all out (except in the fermenter) as things are getting a little to tight.

Interesting. Good that you've tested it. I might have to have another try, although the pain of individually priming is putting me off.

as far as condensed milk....I actually brew all grain, but sometimes you don't have the time. And some time it's good to have a bit of rough.

:lol:

Personally I went from using plain 'ol white sugar then went to carb drops for these ease of use.
Also was told that carb drops produce less sediment in the bottle - hardly noticed the difference.

I've used carbo-drops in the past, mainly because they came with the kit. I reckon I'll keep using them because, as was pointed out earlier, they are dextrose (D-glucose) and it's just so easy. Had no exploding bottles from over priming (or bottling early, either) and no flat bottles, all had about the right about of carbonation. Plus; perhaps I'm an over-grown 18 month old, but the last couple that weren't worth keeping about were rather tasty!

Cheers!

Back