Delayed Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Reaction score
Well 4 1/2 months after doing my first AG batch, a dunkelweizen I come home today to find that the hot weather seems to have finally ot the better of some of them.

3 that were bottled in Bundaberg ginger beer stubbies have gone boom, luckily they were in a crate with a lid so the mess was almost contained, some glass did come thru the lid. Amazingly the crate was full of stubbies from other batches and they all survived, thought there would have been some collateral damage.

Anyone else used the Bundy ginger beer stubbies and had them go ?

Cheers Stu

Well 4 1/2 months after doing my first AG batch, a dunkelweizen I come home today to find that the hot weather seems to have finally ot the better of some of them.

3 that were bottled in Bundaberg ginger beer stubbies have gone boom, luckily they were in a crate with a lid so the mess was almost contained, some glass did come thru the lid. Amazingly the crate was full of stubbies from other batches and they all survived, thought there would have been some collateral damage.

Anyone else used the Bundy ginger beer stubbies and had them go ?

Cheers Stu

Haven't used them myself but have been curious about them. How thick is the broken glass? A lot of bottles these days seem to be made a lot thinner than they used to be.

Certain brewers that hav a PhD, and consistantly like to remind others of the fact that they are, in fact, a Doctor, and should be adressed as such, would have told you that the likelyhood of the entire batch turning to bombs was high.... :rolleyes:

Being the un-edu-ma-cated slob that I am, not having a doctorate, and in fact not even attendied univesity, I tend to think that it's likely a characteristicof the bottles themselves, given that all the ones that went 'boom' were bundy bottles. Somewhat coincidentatal, I don't think.

Cheers

Darren Butters.

:ph34r:

Certain brewers that hav a PhD, and consistantly like to remind others of the fact that they are, in fact, a Doctor, and should be adressed as such, would have told you that the likelyhood of the entire batch turning to bombs was high.... :rolleyes:

Being the un-edu-ma-cated slob that I am, not having a doctorate, and in fact not even attendied univesity, I tend to think that it's likely a characteristicof the bottles themselves, given that all the ones that went 'boom' were bundy bottles. Somewhat coincidentatal, I don't think.

Cheers

Darren Butters.

:ph34r:

You don't need to have gone to university to have a PHD Butters.

You don't need to have gone to university to have a PHD Butters.

Sorry for the sarcy ranting reply, but the escence of what I meant is still valid....I think it's thin walled bottles, as all the ones that went bang are of the same type.

Sorry for the sarcy ranting reply, but the escence of what I meant is still valid....I think it's thin walled bottles, as all the ones that went bang are of the same type.

Irrefutably Butters. Bundy GB is quite low on carbonation and hence the bottles don't need to be as strong as beer bottles.

I was merely having fun with acronyms............. Mine is bigger than yours bent. ;)

Edit: Slightly embarrassing slip :eek: Perhaps Freudian.

Latest posts

Back