Dan Murphy's In Kensington Nsw

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Dan Murphy's finally opened their store in Kensington NSW, the beer range is pretty good and damn cheap, I feel sorry Liqour on Parade across the raod. That is one of the first bottle shops in the area and has been run as such for 40 odd years(or since the 40's I can't recall) by some great folks but money talks and a quick price comparison showed about a $5 difference on a sixer of LCPA. Looks like they'll get steamrolled by a megachain with no hope of competing on that scale.

sad but true mike , especially so now that Dan Murphys is under the WOOLWORTHS blanket , but hey im here to save money as are most people but it is sad to see long time community businesses suffer at the hands of the greedy retail giants ....

prices were good but no lcpa longnecks. I bought a few singles for tasting :) they had some ukranian & russian / baltic & polish beers. some of the czech beers were cheap - $2.50 for 500ml ! They didnt have many british beers. wonder if they customise stock to local area ?

Just remember, prices are low, but only until all the competition is gone.

And think of the wholesalers, they get screwed to the wall by the giants, reducing choice even further.

Well bloody said barfridge,
The guys a L, on Parade have always been there and always the most willing to get beers that YOU want if you just ask. They have a genuine feel/interest of beers from everywhere. So what if they are a couple of bucks more,maybe we should stick with em, and let Dan suffer and let them go back to the drawring boardroom !

:beerbang:

Let's not forget the basics of economics- the value of a product is what consumers are willing to pay. I think this is reflected in the prices of Dan Murphy's, and if the small retailers can't keep up, then they should give up and go get a job at Dan's. If, however, the service at the little retailers is worth an extra couple of bucks, then stick with them. If enough people agree with you, then the small retailer will survive and Dan's will learn a lesson.

Having said that, I think that the range at Dan's is still pretty good; bottle shops can only fit so many products on their shelves and the big suppliers pay good money to have their products on the best shelves (centre of the aisle, eye level). That's why most beers in liquorland and safeway (woolworths) liquor is either made, distributed or imported by Foster's or tooheys, and half the wines are Foster's too. It really doesn't matter if you can't get your favourite beer at every bottle shop; as long as you can get it somewhere you're set.

And redbeard- from my observation, most big liquor chains do customise stock for the local area. For example, the bottlo where I worked was in a feral, bogan-filled suburb so we always had plenty of vb, woodstock and cheap goon in stock :)

Barfridge, in the wine industry it goes further back than that- it's the grape growers that are getting screwed. When dan's is selling cleanskin wines for $1.99 a bottle, there's no way that the growers are breaking even, they may as well let the fruit just rot on the vines.

Anyway, enough rambling about wine and economics, especially since this forum is about beer... thanks for reading :)

Australia currently has a glut of wine in retail. some grape growers this season just left their fruit to rot, as it wasnt worth harvesting for the prices offered. if your into wines, probably is a good time to stock up on reasonable ones for next year or 3.

When i go to a Dan Murphy's, im not buying a tooheys / cub product. im just after a local microbrewery / imported. i actually spent 30mins looking at everything they had, and chose accordingly. but then DM's isnt primarily catering to me. The majority of beer i drink is craftbrewed at home :)

Dan Murphys opened yesterday at the new Westfield extensions at Chermside Brisbane.

Cant wait to do a trip. Most of our bottlos here are BWS & Liqourland which mainly seem to have Commercial Aussie beers and the Brewed here "imports" like Becks & Stella. Don't even have any JS let alone any of the Aussie Micros

Cheers

especially so now that Dan Murphys is under the WOOLWORTHS blanket

it has always been woolworths.

I think that's wrong.
Dan Murphy's came about when Dan, son of Phillip, split from dad, and went his own way.
When he became more popular than dad, woolies made an offer that he couldn't knock back.

It's not always about price, most corps they either buy out the competition or flood the market until there is little or no competions left. Then the only choices left are very limited and overpriced. At least with the littleman you get service and variety when was the last some pimplely face kid at BWS offered to order in a brew that wasn't on there stocklist. Go the littleman

I won't be giving up on L on Parade just yet, the selection is still not matched by Dans both local and import variety and some things are just cheaper else where, Kemmeny's, Vintage Cellars etc. The right product for the right price is what I'm after

especially so now that Dan Murphys is under the WOOLWORTHS blanket

it has always been woolworths.

I think that's wrong.
Dan Murphy's came about when Dan, son of Phillip, split from dad, and went his own way.
When he became more popular than dad, woolies made an offer that he couldn't knock back.

Dan Murphy's started in Chapel St Prahran YEARS AGO.
For yonks only Melbourne drinkers had the privilege. It was brilliant and unique. Smiling shoppers pushing around shopping trolleys filled with great wine at great prices.
It only sold out to Woolworths and expanded interstate relatively recently.

When my Dad visits me in Syd we normally go and shop @ Dan Murphies for around 30-40 bottles(he stocks up) and the service there has been sensational staff are well versed and have a good knowledge of the product.

However BWS if you ask for a wet flavoured rather then dry flavoured Shiraz, they'd look at you like your from Mars.

Shame to see the little guy get screwed, but as is said if his that damn good then he should be able to make enough to keep it worthwhile for him to keep the doors open.

However BWS if you ask for a wet flavoured rather then dry flavoured Shiraz, they'd look at you like your from Mars.

No offence, DC, but I would too. Shiraz is a dry style. There is no such thing as "wet" as opposed to "dry" in wine. You might mean "sweet"? Again, I'm taxed to think of a sweet shiraz. I'm no wine expert, but maybe you'd be looking for a late harvest shiraz, displaying fruity notes, but they're not really bang in the middle of the Shiraz style.

I see Dan Murphys and these big chains as a threat to our choice in much the same way that Woolworths' new "Select" range of products are. Essentially, Select is like a top-line "No Name" brand. Customers should be able to choose which brand they like, not have the supermarket purchasers do that for them. Keeping diversity on the shelves should be their focus, not shifting the lion's share of the profit from the producer to the retailer... Same with beer, wine, spirits. The real loser in the corporatisation of retail is definitely the consumer.

Dont know mate. That was off the top of my head so no doubt the terminology is wrong, so no offence taken I drink a lush glass of red very enthusiastically but I save my research for brewing endeavours.

All that I know is that my old man asks lots of technical questions and is quite satisfied with the answers he recieves and as a man who reads many wine books, tours SA and the Hunter extensively + worked in pubs/clubs and restaurants for 15 years I am sure he knows what his on about.

I do know for sure every glass I have of whatever he chooses is a dance in my mouth.

.. 5 and 10 litre Oak barrels available at Dan's about $150 for the small one I think

I think it is wrong to assume that a larger store will not provide excellent service. I often go to my local dan murphy's, where the range of beer is decent, the range of wine and spirits is comprehensive.

If the person you ask doesn't know, then someone else working will find out. Often in smaller bottle shops, with only one person working, if they don't know then no-one else can help.

Plus there cleanskins are often excellent value and if you no somewhere undercuts them in price they will match it- I have had this done for me before.

However, I also go to other bottle shops, particularly vintage cellage and porters, as they often have a wider range of beer, or get new releases before dans. Plus you can often talk to the owner, who has his finger on the pulse.

Mic,

Although I know someone who works at Dan Murphy's, I would not consider myself associated. I have in the past posted regarding specials offered at Dan Murphy's but this is only with the intent of letting others in on good bargains.

I agree,
If Dan offers the service/product/ and knowledge of the products, well then its great.
What i hate with a passion is when competition comes in against the independant that does not meet the above,yet for a couple of bucks cheaper they feel they have you by the balls.

I cant agree with " if his that damn good then he should be able to make enough to keep it worthwhile for him to keep the doors open"

I just cant swallow that one............

Anyway.......Go the independant and support selection/range and price and Australia !

cheers

Latest posts

Back