Cub's New Beer - Vb Original Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spose you've all seen the latest Carlton Draught TV ad ...More horses... etc.,
If that's not false advertising for a start, there's the bit about individually picked hops!

I've seen how hops are picked, and there's nothing individual about it.

They don't use real hops any more anyway.

spog said:
well this intrigued beerist sez what the f%#k! oh and what is a sycophant! do i need an axe to become one of them. :p
[post="62341"][/post]​

Noun: sycophant 'sikufunt
1. A person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage

Synonyms:
crawler
lackey
toady

You can get it lickin boots...
You can get it kissin A...
matter of fact I've got it now :party:

shmick said:
spog said:
... oh and what is a sycophant! do i need an axe to become one of them. :p
[post="62341"][/post]​

Noun: sycophant 'sikufunt
1. A person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage

Synonyms:
crawler
lackey
toady

You can get it lickin boots...
You can get it kissin A...
matter of fact I've got it now :party:
[post="62505"][/post]​

You can get it workin' a plough...
You can get it sexin' a cow...
matter of fact I've got it now (Mooooo...)

BTW, I got my freebie sample (cold, too) from my bottlo, and was impressed that it tasted like an all-malt beer and fair passable at that. Having said that, the hops were way down on what I'd like to taste, yet the beer was quaffable.

The verdict:
Save me the empties for bottling my own beer, coz I ain't willing to pay the premium price for this...not when I can buy Coopers in bottles.
Definitely not offensive, but not appealing enough to entice me to buy it. Know what I mean?

OTOH, the Matilda Bay Rooftop Red Lager in the bottle was quite nice initially, but my tastebuds quickly lost the crystal malt flavours (did it warm up too much, or are my tastebuds knackered ?)

Sorry , I digress.

Seth :p

WELL i have tried the vb original and i didnt mind it at all i thought to myself now this is how i remember beer from the 70's .

not being much on commercial beers anymore but i like what i tasted
price well thats ok as you dont mind paying for a beer that taste good

also on the issues with the pure blonde as well i tried one of thoughs as well and my thoughts on this beer was not a bad drop either .remembering it is a low carb beer and lacks a bit of body but the malty flavours are there and its balenced quite nicley.

I know all you beer snobs like my self will knock any commercial brew but in all these 2 are not that bad and if i ever ran out of HB(GOD FORBID) :eek: they would be the other 2 i would buy as well as Coopers of course.

delboy

Gday, have to throw in my 2c, seeings as I am actually drinking onbe of these beers as I type :ph34r:
Indeed, it is darker than the average VB, albeit slightly. For me, thats about where the differences end. Last week, a guy at my house, who I gave a glass of my IPA to (admittedly, I am trying to give it awqay, as I am not real happy with the finished result), and he told me it tasted just like the new VB ale :eek: . Trying the 2 side by side, they are nothing alike thank god. This thing tastes exactly like the VB everybody knows and loves :p, and is a little too light bodied for mine. I havent noticed the premium price, as here they are 10c cheaper per single, and exactly the same price as regular VB if bought by the case. Each to their own, but I am loathe to say that this beer is going down the drain, and it is a $2.49 crown seal bottle I just bought. I am sure that plenty of people will like this beer, but I am not one of them, and will either drink Coopers (an unfortunate rarity in pubs round here), or water in the pubs.
Who was it that said they drink Carbine stout? I had that at the races the other day, about the only drinkable option they had. The barstaff told me I was the first person to ever actually buy one! No wonder I felt crook the next morning. M<aybe it was past its use by date, or maybe it was the tooheys new, or extra dry the boys instisted on buying me for the rest of the night....
All the best
Trent

I tried one bottle and I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps they've used 10% real POR and the rest hop oil. They don't waste them anyway.

More importantly, I'm sure it's still bottom fermented with lager yeast, and if so, the era it has been revived from was obviously not the same as the original ale.

Incidentally, on the label Original Ale replaces Bitter Ale and Traditionally Brewed replaces Melbourne Australia. FWIW (**) <= Quick Reply Smiley

Latest posts

Back