cubing wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend0n

Reaction score
okay, be nice everyone as this maybe a stupid question. after doing a search I couldn't find the answer .soooo here goes. once my beer has finished fermenting ( around 14 degrees ish ) can I empty it into a sanitized cube, maybe add 120gm dex( maybe not, sometimes I add dex, sometimes I don't) and store it for a month or two for flavours to develop then pour it in my keg. That way I can get a good backup of ready to drink beers without needing shitloads of kegs?? This thought came around as I had some natural carbed beer in bottles from july and they tasted amazing compared to the same beer in my kegs that im drinking a bit green.

You can store fermented wort in airtight cubes fine.
However if you kick off fermentation again by adding dex, you will need to allow pressure release or the cube may blow (unless you can calculate the right amount of sugar for the small amount of pressure they can take). If a full cube blows up it can cause serious damage and make a hell of a mess.

Best stored as cold as possible if not adding dex. Then you would transfer to keg with hose (pouring will encourage oxidation) and either carb with sugar or CO2.

cheers, makes sence. imagine one of those things exploding,, fark that. is it worthwhile? I just couldn't believe the difference between the same beer that a few were bottled and drunk 2 months later than the kegged version. only thing I can think of was the time factor?

if I could get that same bottled flavour in my kegs id be stoked. again drinking green beer? cos I keg?

Conditioning is definitely worth it. Could also try leaving the keg alone and getting a few quick and easy drinkers into another keg while it conditions.

my guess is that you may also experience problems transfering your beer from cube to keg if it has had any dex added, as it will probably release a lot of the co2 from the carbonation in the process and will foam like hell!

Latest posts

Back