Crown caps help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
I've used the bench capper for my bottles but the caps don't look crimped down enough. The capper is new. Caps are gold ones from LHBS. They don't seem to be leaking though. Do some crimp better than others?

What bottles do you have. I've noticed some foreign bottles have a different size top.Tried a couple of bench cappers myself and didn't like the seal. I found the "butterfly" capper style the best by far. They take a bit of practice but once you get used to them they are way quicker and seal better IMO.

Screw top bottles never seal properly with a bench capper, but I haven't found that it makes much of a difference if your drinking them as soon as they're carbonated

I did use screw top bottles. They seem to seal ok but just don't look right.

Really? Are you really using screw top bottles??? You're messin' with me, right??

I've used screw top bottles (specifically, CUB longnecks) without any issues, and I know plenty of others have and do. So you can safely ignore anyone that says it can't be done.

They won't appear as though they are crimped enough compared to a crown seal but as long as you've pushed down firmly and evenly with the capper it will be fine.

But don't you have enough access to pry-offs so you don't have to settle for twist-offs?? The pry-offs work so much better.

Nearly all gone screwy here mate.Except Coopers.

Screw offs work better when you are drinking heavily whilst driving. Grasp bottle between knees and twist off with free hand. With the pry offs you need to steer with the knees and that can be dangerous, especially if you drop the bottle opener and have to search on the floor while driving.

You guys are crazy. Thanks for the advise. Haha.

Like I said they seem to have sealed ok. You can see the screw lines in the gaps in the crown caps so hope there ok.

Luke1992 said:
Screw top bottles never seal properly with a bench capper,
balls.....have done thousands upon thousands without any hassles. Of course they seal. Its a but of an urban myth that you cant re-cap twist tops.

I've solved the problem. I got a little bottle opener that goes on my car key ring, so I can now open pry off bottles using two hands and steer with my teeth. Need a straight section of road, but.

For a couple of years I used crown seals from that company named after a variety of out-back scrub without an issue. Then **** me 3 or 4 brews were as flat as a shit carters hat. I was wild. Arsehole shit cheap caps. I have never bought any of their products ever again. You could see when studied closely that they were made of different metal and didn't bend properly. I use twisties and coopers and english and german bottles with a superautomatica with caps from LHBS no problems.

Back