Corona Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew86

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm making a corona style beer from the Coopers Mexican kit for a mates bucks party. He has asked me if it is possible to put the lemon flavouring style when its brewing. What is the best way to do this?

Funny you should mention Corona, i was talking to a mate of mine recently whom just returned from a holiday over in mexico, and he said he was amazed at the amount of bad feedback he got about the beer from the local folk...
Apparently they only put lemon in the neck of the stubbie to stop the flies going in, and secondly someone told him that it gets its odd flavour from the urine present in the water they use to brew it over there !
Not pulling ya chain either, thats what he was told! Possible larriken talk, but makes the taste sound right.
The mind ponders :huh:

Having said that, it is just an overpriced megaswill crap that strangely many ppl drink these days, and i must admit, back in my kit days i tried to brew one too, and i added about 3 lemons and 2 limes (juice) straight into primary ferm.
It came out tasting ordinary, like a mix of sour juice with bubbles.
I think if you like the citrus type beers, buy a good pils kit or stick with mexican, use a BE2, plus good yeast, ferment cool, and use "Citra" hops in it, and dry hop as well.

Only recently tried a brew that was hopped with citra, was very nice, ten times better then shitty corona anyway.
Good luck

So they actually water down the urine they use to brew it ?

Thats what I like about this site, you learn something new every visit

edit : I did a few corona clones as a K&K brewer, none turned out like corona, but a few were pretty drinkable.

I did one that can out quite good considering what I just read in the threads
1Can of Mexcian Cerveza
Brewehancer No.2
The zest and juice of two limes addto 1/2lt.of boiling water and let sit for 1/2hr thyen add to fermenter
dry hoped with 25grms of willamette hops
Start gravity was 1052
Finished at 1016
Am drinking it now from the keg and is different but very drinkable the misses likes it
Good luck hope this helps
cheers Bob

if you get the morgans chairman selection ceveza can it already has a lemon type of flavour built in.

if you get the morgans chairman selection ceveza can it already has a lemon type of flavour built in.

You might try this - I made it and thought it came pretty close to Corona with lime. I'm sure you could use lemons instead.

115g 10L Crystal
3.3lb tin [1.5k] Coopers Light Malt Syrup
1lb [@500g] Muntons XLT DME or similar
14g Mt. Hood - 60 minutes
14g Mt. Hood - 5 minutes
5 limes
1 packet of Dry Lager yeast

Method:

Add crytal malt [in a hop or grain bag] to 2 US gallons [7.5liters] of cold water. Bring to a boil over 30 minutes, remove grains prior to boil.

Add the 500g DME and 14g of the Mt. Hood, boil for 60 minutes;

With 20 minutes left in the boil, add the Coopers light malt [late extract addition];

Meanwhile, juice the 5 limes, and at 5 minutes left in the boil, add the limes [rinds and all] and the remaining 14g of Mt. Hood.

Cool and strain wort into primary fermenter and add to enough cold water to make up 19L. Pitch yeast.

Been said on here before but using D Saaz, Citra, or Glacier hops for flavour and aroma will give a subtle citrus taste. Even Cascade hops if easier to source.

I believe that Rice Malt Extract is also good when doing a cerveza or japanese dry lager style. (Asahi)

The reason so many people like Corona (apart from that wanky 90's trend of swilling this stuff as a top shelf drink) is that it tastes of pretty much nothing with so few IBU's and low maltiness, so lots of people who don't really like beer buy the stuff.

In other words, an excellent lawn mower brew!! Extra citrus desired just add your slice of lemon or lime after rather than experiment in the fermentor with zest or juice, and maybe use too little or too much and ruin your batch.

I have a mate who just uses Cerveza kit, BE2, dry lager yeast, and then he leaves them quite a while, after 6 months plus they are the best i have sampled for such little effort and cost, some late hops would be even better!

Cheers

Mick.

Funny you should mention Corona, i was talking to a mate of mine recently whom just returned from a holiday over in mexico, and he said he was amazed at the amount of bad feedback he got about the beer from the local folk...
Apparently they only put lemon in the neck of the stubbie to stop the flies going in, and secondly someone told him that it gets its odd flavour from the urine present in the water they use to brew it over there !
Not pulling ya chain either, thats what he was told! Possible larriken talk, but makes the taste sound right.
The mind ponders :huh:

lol. I think they might have been telling a 'drop bear' tale to your mate with the urine in the water..

As for the lemon/lime in the beer, I found it was only in touristy restaurants and bars where they served a lime wedge with your Corona. But they also have things called a Chilada. Which is where you get ice & lime juice in the bottom of your glass, and salt around the rim and then you fill the glass with Corona / Sol. It's actually quite refreshing on a hot day and adds flavour to an otherwise pretty tasteless beer. They also have Michelada. Which is the same again, but with spices and sometimes tomato juice added. I wasnt a fan of that one.

That's my 2c on this topic.

The morgans chairman selection ceveza is pretty close, it comes with a good brew cellar lager yeast.

Back