Cornelius Keg Question Urgent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
it may sound silly but i just want to play it safe

i have just cleaned and got ready one of my cornies for filling all the seals are new and everything seems to be good .how ever i when i was flushing with clean water to rinse i turned it up side down and noticed it had a slow drip from the lid .now the seal is new and the water wasnot under any pressure from gas is this normal ? and do they only give a tight seal once some pressure is in them .
i might just be paranoid as it is my first time using these ?
any ideas would be nice.

also all the lid levers are sound and all the fittings are sound . might just be the norm when the liquid is under no pressure?

delboy

Spot on mate. Think about how the lid seals: gas pressure pushes up under the lid, distorting the rubber seal and making a tighter fit and seal.

If you're worried, try some water in the keg, and pressurise it, just to test. And of course look for any damage to the seal.

delboy said:
it may sound silly but i just want to play it safe

i have just cleaned and got ready one of my cornies for filling all the seals are new and everything seems to be good .how ever i when i was flushing with clean water to rinse i turned it up side down and noticed it had a slow drip from the lid .now the seal is new and the water wasnot under any pressure from gas is this normal ? and do they only give a tight seal once some pressure is in them .
i might just be paranoid as it is my first time using these ?
any ideas would be nice.

also all the lid levers are sound and all the fittings are sound . might just be the norm when the liquid is under no pressure?

delboy
[post="95330"][/post]​

delboy, quite normal - but for peace of mind, pressurise with the keg filled with water & double check - you don't want to discover the problem when it's full of beer...

Pressurise and test everything with soapy water is the way I do it. I usually have so much water kicking around when I am washing up it is hard to tell where it is coming from.

Sort of still on topic... I am about to use my Cornelius keg for the first time. i noticed when cleaning the poppits that they still had syrup on them, and when licked, tasted sweet.

What should I use to de-syrup the keg? I would normally use some dishwashing powder and soak, but am a bit hesitant doing this with Stainless.

Is Nappysan the answer? If so, how long do you soak?

For sanitisation I normally use iodophor. Is this still ok with a keg?

how do you sanitisethe dip tube? Just pressurise some ipdphor and dispense?

As usual, thanks in advance.

M

I just use nappy cleaner and it works great M :)

First time around you'll find it worth taking the keg completely apart and giving all the parts a soak in it for about 30 mins if you want everything cleaned properly.

PZ.

yep, napisan takes some beating... :)

Ross said:
[post="95363"][/post]​

thankfully, with 2 kids under 5, and cricket whites to wash every weekend, Napisan is not in short supply! :D

Thanks all,

M

ok chaps
all done i actually primed my kegs and filled to 19 ltrs just under the co2 inlet affixed lid and turned keg upside down and then let it sit for ten a little beer came out and then she sealed as there was enough residual co2 in the mix to seal the unit cleaned down the outer and lid and the top with a littel water and now she is away will burp in a few hours but i dont realy see the point as it has the pressure releif valve any how .
bottel off the last 5 ltrs into pets and tasted the last runningw and it tasteed fantastic . :D

i am please with my first partial and first keg up done on my own and with thanks to you the "gurus of grog". :beerbang:

now i cant wait to start my next ale "i think i will do a pale" as i have also managed to make and cultivate some coopers pale ale yeast that smels sensational .

now for the cleaning side of this thread i got some of that pink stain cleaner is that similar to nappysan it smells similar when mixed?

delboy

mandrakar said:
Ross said:
[post="95363"][/post]​
thankfully, with 2 kids under 5, and cricket whites to wash every weekend, Napisan is not in short supply! :D
[post="95376"][/post]​
Go save some hard earned and buy a 25 kg bag of sodium percarbonate (the real deal).

As for cleaning the posts I just blast with the garden hose then spray sanitizer on them. It is a long time since I have seen the poppits - I don't pull my kegs apart anymore unless they are leaking or obviously gummed up.

delboy said:
now for the cleaning side of this thread i got some of that pink stain cleaner is that similar to nappysan it smells similar when mixed?
[post="95383"][/post]​
If you bought it at the homebrew section of a supermarket it may well be TSP (like sugar soap). If so it is a completely different beast.

Hey Delboy,

Just go to Woolworths/Safeway and but some Home Brand "Nappy Treatment Plus".

At $2.50 per Kg it is cheap as chips...sure the pure stuff is better, but if you need a quick fix the nappy treatment works fine.

(Donning Flame Suit) - I use the nappy gear for cleaning everything and don't sanitise with any further chemicals...never had an infection...but never had one using Sodium Met either...keep it clean man :)

PZ.

hey guys
i think you have all lost it here i dont have a cleaning problem just asking the difference between the HBS pink detergent sanitizer compared with napie san dudes ??

my kegs have been cleaned refitted and polished i am very anal when it comes to cleaning me gear and my brew stuff :lol:

no i wanted to know what the difference was in the cleaning gear.

delboy :chug:

Oops...I was wondering why <_<

Sodium Percarbonate is an Oxygen Bleach and lifts most solid crud off without scrubbing at all...gets my thumbs-up all the way :beerbang:

PZ.

*EDIT* - after another ale I'm still not sure I answered your question...but is a good cleaner maing!

mandrakar said:
Sort of still on topic... I am about to use my Cornelius keg for the first time. i noticed when cleaning the poppits that they still had syrup on them, and when licked, tasted sweet.

What should I use to de-syrup the keg? I would normally use some dishwashing powder and soak, but am a bit hesitant doing this with Stainless.

Is Nappysan the answer? If so, how long do you soak?

For sanitisation I normally use iodophor. Is this still ok with a keg?

how do you sanitisethe dip tube? Just pressurise some ipdphor and dispense?

As usual, thanks in advance.

M
[post="95346"][/post]​

The syrup will never go from the rubber no matter how much you wash them.
You need new poppets and new rubber seals. When you replace both the poppets and the seals don't throw them away. Keep them for a couple of years exposed to oxygen (ie on a shelf). Seems to be the only way to get rid of that smell.

Everyone should remove their poppets and give them a good sniff. If it smells like syrup it will be in your beer :angry:

cheers
Darren

The syrup will never go from the rubber no matter how much you wash them.
You need new poppets and new rubber seals. When you replace both the poppets and the seals don't throw them away. Keep them for a couple of years exposed to oxygen (ie on a shelf). Seems to be the only way to get rid of that smell.

Everyone should remove their poppets and give them a good sniff. If it smells like syrup it will be in your beer :angry:

cheers
Darren

Bugger! Another trip to the HBS. If only I could come home ONLY with what I went out for!

(Methinks and ESB Fresh Wort Amber Ale perchance???) :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back