Coriander Seeds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
1st post but an avid reader of the forum

A couple of weeks ago I put down a Brewcraft Belgian Ale. I boiled some orange peel and around 15 g of coriander seeds.

I made the mistake of forgetting to crush the seeds before boiling, cooling and adding to the wort. Everything else went to recipe/plan

Has anone else made this mistake and if so can I expect any flavour or have I missed the boat entirely?

best off grinding your seeds just before addition
they lose their aroma fairly quickly and don't even bother with pre-crushed unless that's all you can get
you should get some flavour extraction from un-crushed seeds but not as much as crushed

Saturn,
Your best bet is to go to your local indian spice shop and buy them. Big seeds anfd they smell great.

cheers
Darren

thanks guys, its in the bottle as of last week - will see how it turns out in a few months

Reckon you'll be fine, IMHO 15g is a fair amount of crushed seed so the effect from 15g un-crushed should be fine. Did you give it quick boil? Only put 5g (teaspoon) in my wheats. Grow it myself, peice of cake. Plant seedlings in spring and use the leaves until it bolts to seed in early summer, collect all the dry seed for the kitchen keeping 30 or so seeds for next planting.

saturn said:
Boiled 20 minutes and rested for 10.
[post="103515"][/post]​

Thats a long boil for corriander, should be ok, do you get any citrus/corriander aroma smelling the brew?

The aromas were probably not as pronounced as I would have thought

Also I cook a lot of curries from scratch and I generally dry raost the seeds to release the flavours - should I consider this next time?

saturn said:
The aromas were probably not as pronounced as I would have thought

Also I cook a lot of curries from scratch and I generally dry raost the seeds to release the flavours - should I consider this next time?
[post="103558"][/post]​

I would just crush them. 15 grams doesn't seem too much for me about right I would say

i'd definitely dry roast, morter & pestle, then add in last 5 minutes of boil

blaardy beeyoootiful

Back