Copper Vs Nylon Hosing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day All,

Well its time for me to get back into building my AG setup and was wondering if I should go with Copper piping or nylon hosing instead.

What would be the +'s and -'s of either?

I thought copper would be good because it would be stronger and I can make the setup nice and neat. However copper is expensive yes? Also can you buy it in straight lengths and not rolls? And how hard it is to solder/braise?

Anyway any ideas or feedback would be awesome

Cheers, Pok

I prefer to use silicone hosing and CPC quick disconnects. No hard plumbing to clean, just soak the hoses in napisan then rinse and sanitise.

+1 for silicone. It's a little pricey, but I bought a couple metres years ago and they're serving me well- I use them for everything from use while brewing, to racking, and as a whip (umm... you'd better ignore that one).

I agree with Kook, I recently replumbed my brewery with silicon hosing and this stuff is the ducks nuts. It's not cheap but it handles the heat really well and seems to insulate well to.
And as Kook said it's very easy to clean.

system_002__Large_.jpg

Andrew

How much a metre for that stuff Andrew?

Is this the same stuff? Here

Pok

Anyone know of a supplier in the Newcastle area? That may be cheaper?

Pok

+1 for silicon also.

I like to keep my hose(s) that I use to transfer from kettle to CFWC and from CFWC to fermenter in sanitiser up until they are required. If you use disconnects (I like the polysulphone ones) it's easy.

Makes for easy cleaning of the whole system as they can be easily removed and soaked in your cleaner of choice.

Wally

Sounds like the go. :D

Andrew how many metres of hose have you used there?

I used 3.5 mt, I had 1/2 mt left thet I use from the kettle to the cube when I no chill

Andrew

Hey Pok
MHB has that silicone stuff. Same price per metre from memory.
Spencer

Just to throw in an alternative, I used 15mm polypropylene reticulation fittings. The price is reasonable, there is a good choice of threaded lengths and various couplings and with a judicious application of heat you can bend the stuff.

Just to throw in an alternative, I used 15mm polypropylene reticulation fittings. The price is reasonable, there is a good choice of threaded lengths and various couplings and with a judicious application of heat you can bend the stuff.
Hi Tony
Have you got a linky/pictures we can look at.Sounds interesting.
GB

Just for you GB, I lay down on the garage floor and took this. The pipe I'm referring to is that black line that runs from the boiler to the valve array.
ps. forgive the PVC running to the pump. I'll get round to it one day.

DSCN02710351.JPG

Just for you GB, I lay down on the garage floor and took this. The pipe I'm referring to is that black line that runs from the boiler to the valve array.

View attachment 18160

I like that Idea, but how does it go with heat? and also is it "food grade"? I would have thought it might "taint" the wort.

Cheers, Pok

View attachment 18160
Hi Tony, looks like you have a serious chance of knocking King Vlad off his perch for the most amount of valves in a system :p

Another +1 for silicon hose.

Being quite close to the beach, all my copper would corrode very quickly.

I would have to run a citric acid soak through the system before each use or all the crud would all end up in the wort.

Come brew day silicon hose is my favourite piece of gear.

Withstands high temps (you can autoclave it if you want), has no or very little memory effect, easy to clean and I can see what is flowing inside the hose something you cant do with copper.

View attachment 18160

WHOA!! i know what to buy you for your birthday Tony, A can of matt black spray paint!

Back