Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I did collect the yeast from two Coopers Pale Ale beers about six months ago. (Kept in the fridge in sterile water in one of those newborn feeding bottles- quite small bottles with nice lids and wide necks)

Last night I sterilised a 2L glass bottle and poured 100g of LDME in about 1.3L of water (at boiling point) after boiled for a few minutes. I wanted to pitch the yeast last night but the solution was still too hot and the yeast was too cold when I needed to go to bed- so thought better did it this morning. I sealed the solution with foil paper and left the yeast out the fridge. This morning added the yeast to the malt solution (both at room temp) before leaving for work.

I intend to brew tomorrow morning and that is why wanted to give the starter some 24hours or so, but am a bit afraid I perhaps could have done things better.

Before deciding to pitch in the morning, last night I tipped half of the water from the yeast bottle as I prepared to pitch- now I worry about that extra air that went in the yeast sample bottle. The yeast smelled ok last night, but forgot to check this morning.

I al also worried that the malt solution was all night there without yeast- hope no-one got there first. I was quite careful about sterilising and sealing but one never knows.

Am I worrying about nothing?

This is my first time using a Coopers yeast from the bottle so perhaps my question is is there any difference between this yeast and the one found in the sparkling ale bottle?

Also: what is the probability of harvesting good yeast given that I have had the sample for about six months?

Jonez

Hi brewers,

I did collect the yeast from two Coopers Pale Ale beers about six months ago. (Kept in the fridge in sterile water in one of those newborn feeding bottles- quite small bottles with nice lids and wide necks)

Last night I sterilised a 2L glass bottle and poured 100g of LDME in about 1.3L of water (at boiling point) after boiled for a few minutes. I wanted to pitch the yeast last night but the solution was still too hot and the yeast was too cold when I needed to go to bed- so thought better did it this morning. I sealed the solution with foil paper and left the yeast out the fridge. This morning added the yeast to the malt solution (both at room temp) before leaving for work.

I intend to brew tomorrow morning and that is why wanted to give the starter some 24hours or so, but am a bit afraid I perhaps could have done things better.

Before deciding to pitch in the morning, last night I tipped half of the water from the yeast bottle as I prepared to pitch- now I worry about that extra air that went in the yeast sample bottle. The yeast smelled ok last night, but forgot to check this morning.

I al also worried that the malt solution was all night there without yeast- hope no-one got there first. I was quite careful about sterilising and sealing but one never knows.

Am I worrying about nothing?

This is my first time using a Coopers yeast from the bottle so perhaps my question is – is there any difference between this yeast and the one found in the sparkling ale bottle?

Also: what is the probability of harvesting good yeast given that I have had the sample for about six months?

Jonez

Coopers yeast for both Sparkling and Pale Ale is the same but you should use the CPA yeast as it is a bit healthier (because of the lower alc content)...

alas throwing your yeast into a large volume of wort (1.3lt) may be a bit much for them, the advice I was given was to start small, ie 50ml yeast collected to 50ml worrt on day one, day two 100ml, day 3 200ml, day 3 400ml, giving you almost a 800ml, this you could then throw in a 1lt wort, leave to high krausen, and either clean and pitch or pitch the lot depending on your sanitation...

there is plenty of threads on culturing yeast here mate, a few hours light reading should give you a few options...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...?showtopic=3697

also look here this is where I began my trip on the road of yeast farming

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=40
(look under link at extra resources)

:icon_cheers:

edit: that yeast is pretty old mate.. I would certainly consider a few new bottles of coops to start with ;)

Back