Coopers Stout reached 1010 Gravity in a couple of days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi I a making Coopers Stout

500g LDM
300 G Dex.
Kit Yeast
21 deg.

This actaully blew all water out airlock - went nuts - had to rig pipe into a glass as a make shift airlock. (Think it was the same problem I had before as not enough yeast?)

Using kit yeast ...

Anyhow seems to have reach 1010 in a couple of days.... I think 1010 is around the finish mark?

Any thoughts - too quick? Should add another yeast?

Thanks

No. leave it.

Stouts have a habit of going nuts

Just make sure you UNDERPRIME YOUR STOUT if you are going to bottle it. Stouts tend to take months to ferment out fully so you need to drop your priming rate

As above.

Although not having enough yeast wouldn't cause it to go nuts like that, it'd cause it to lag and stall and what not.

Yep....have checked digital thermo and old one to make sure... that is what surprised me...

BTW started out low too 1034 thought that was low for a stout?

Not sure if a 7g or 11g yeast... but normal coopers yeast.... would that make a diff.?

cheers

Sounds like either your hydrometer needs calibrating (most probable cause), or the extract you used wasn't mixed/dissolved fully - there's no way those ingredients got you a 1034 OG.

Chuck your hydrometer in a glass of water. It should read 1000 (more or less, accounting for temperature).

If it doesn't, chuck it out and get a new one.

If it does, it may mean that you're getting accurate readings, but the extract used isn't evenly distributed through your wort, causing some samples to have very low readings, and some very high. Give your fermenter a bit of a gentle swirl, let it rest for a bit, then come back and take another reading.

It is a mystery....
Hydrometer 1000...

Wort properly mixed and then
topped up water with bucket x 4 or 5 and then mixed very little chance not mixed....??

Will shake fermenter...see what happens..

cheers

Wouldn't bother shaking it now.. If for some reason your Gravity was that low from the start it may finish low.
The yeast will keep going if there is more sugar there!

Without running the numbers, 1034 sounds reasonable. LDM will ferment less fully than dex or table sugar and you've only added 500g plus 300 dex so that's a kit and not quite kilo brew.
Sounds like a healthy ferment if the yemp was kept down.

Also 21 degrees = what? Surrounding air temp, stick on thermometer or measured fermenting temp?

21 ambient temp....room temp...
stick on his hard to exact 20-22

BTW... actually bought a digital reader with a long probe on ebay for $3.60 postage and batteries, :) left in the wort to get pitch temp right..perfect... cheers

Fermentation generates heat so ambient temp isn't a true representation of what's going on. Stick on thermometers are pretty crap.

I've had several batches of Coopers stout going nuts and finish in 4 days, though that's whacking a new batch on the cake and 1kg dme and "some" dex. Nothing like a quick crazy ferment, just got to be ready for the volcano.

Thanks DCR, Exactly what happened to me. Incredible - I have a stainless steeI fermenter and it blew through the top when the bung was blocked with krausen, but did not blow bung out which surprised me....guess it must be Stout, what is different about Stout?
Did they turn out ok, did you bottle in 4 days or leave for a while?

cheers

I would not be bottling anything brewed for only 4 days, just asking for trouble (bottle bombs for 1) and not much would have settled out. 14 days in the fermenter is about the norm here.
Cheers

Thanks - if it has reached gravity could I cold crash to make sure all settled out? or do you do 14 days plus 7 days cold crash as norm?

thanks

Latest posts

Back