Coopers Pale Ale - Which Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what you're trying to make. If you actually want to make a beer that resembles coopers then PoR and as Kev says - stick with single bittering addition.

Amarillo is lovely but it will be very different from coopers, even as a bittering addition. Contrary to what many think, bittering additions aren't always neutral.

If you're happy to go outside the coopers replication then amarillo and cascade work very well together - will just be a different beer. Not sure how they go with PoR though (only used PoR twice and one is still fermenting - neither mixed with amarillo or cascade).

I agree with manticle, although I love Amarillo, I would go the Cascade as the 25% bittering fill in. And the other key with CPA is getting you yeast pitch rates and fermentation temps correct; too bready one way and way too banana the other. Although you want a slightly more bready taste, not allowing it to go too much that way is the trick to the perfect hot days beers

For such a simple beer it is so rewarding to hit it correctly.

QldKev

Hey all,

Brewing an Extract Pale Ale on the weekend and I only have 30g of POR, the recipe I am using needs 40. I do have some amarillo, so should I use this as the bittering hop or as the flavour hop?
Recipe
3.0kg DME
0.1kg Wheat Malt
0.15kg Carared

20g POR 60mins
10g POR 30mins
10g POR 10mins.

I do have B-Saaz flowers and cascade pellets if either of these would be better?

Cheers

Robbo

Quite the bump....

Anyways, if you want something like coopers, you HAVE to TRY re-cultivating the bottle yeast!

View attachment Coopers_Yeast.pdf

May seem a little daunting but is simple and yields amazing results! Go for it!

Cheers

That's the least daunting guide I've seen about reculturing yeast. Not even a mention of acid washing.

Ok, going to change to the single 60min addition and add 10g of Cascade to make up the amount to 40g.

In regards to the Yeast, I am looking to brew this on Sunday, so could I look at doing the Yeast on Friday night or Thursday night?

Cheers

Robbo

In regards to the Yeast, I am looking to brew this on Sunday, so could I look at doing the Yeast on Friday night or Thursday night?

I have found each time I have done it, it is good to go in 2-3 days... so you should be fine. Maybe do it Thursday....

:icon_cheers:

Back