Coopers light malt recipe advice welcome!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bt1

Reaction score
Hello all,

Only kegged my first 2 and another two brews underway so new to this.

Wondering if I could draw on the wealth of experience here for recipe suggestions.

So chasing a extremely light coloured , lower bittered, big aroma style ...cerveza I guess?

1 tin coopers light malt
Lager yeast
thinking 400gm DME, 100gm malto and 250+gm dex to 4.0% abv

For hops Saaz longer ?? boil and Galaxy or/both Citra short ??? boil at near ferment finish.

appreciate any assists

bt1

If you want super light change out the dme for some rice syrup. The palest beer I ever saw was 25% rice. As for galaxy just dry hopped a dark lager with 15grams of galaxy and am blown away by the smell after 2 days so maybe go easy on it as it doesn't smell lagery anymore it also seems to have added some bitterness even as a dry hop!. I have heard citra and galaxy go nicely together though but usually in apas and such. Good luck hope it turns out nice.

Edit also I don't know where you are but craftbrewer has some super light dme if you don't want to use rice.

For a Corona Lookalike you would be best to start with a Cerveza kit, or a Canadian Blonde kit then pimp that up with 500g rice syrup and 500g light malt extract. As posted, Craftbrewer do a really pale dried malt extract from Briess, an American company who do malts specifically for home brewing.

Rice maltose syrup is available for about $2 for a 500g plastic tub from Chinese supermarkets, I'd guess you have a "Chinatown" or Asian area in Adelaide?

For a bit of a hop note, even just 12g of an aroma hop such as galaxy would be heaps, I wouldn't even boil it, just make some "hop tea" with kettle water in a coffee press/plunger after two days of fermentation and pour that in .

Many thanks guys

I'm on a mission!

a happy
bt1

hello all & Bribie G & Joe

This super light has been put into fermenter.

1.5kg Breiss Pilsen light malt
500gm Rice malt syrup
Dex to SG 1040 stuff all really
EC1118 yeast...(I'm a distiller and much preferred yeast...clean, no sulphur, fast, clean, alco tolerant, no D rests, suites current Adelaide ambient temp)

So the question is no bittering hops and stay with the game plan?...Saaz long boil, Galaxy and Citra for a big floral bold aromatic note... A bright tasty lawnmower spesh?

welcome advice

bt1

Do you know the aa% of the hops you bought? Citra and gala y are usually pretty high so if you boil them you won't want to much for very long if you want to keep the bitterness in check.

I would have boiled the hops with some of the light malt prior to mixing the rest of the ingredients, boiling without malt may introduce a harsh bitterness. I have only ever added a hop tea to a fermented out brew twice, about 1 litres worth, it wassteeped and didn't increase the IBU. I'm not sure what you are after but the one tme that I didn't add enough bittering hops the beer was sickly after 1 glass and went down the drain.

Back