Coopers Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon i put down a coopers heritage lager using the 'lager' yeast from a coopers pilsner kit (purchased both kits at the same time and decided to use 34/70 for the pilsner kit). Pitched the yeast at about 18*

Last night i left the fermenter outside, the wort had cooled to about 14* and when i checked it this morning there was absolutely no sign of fermentation. So a gave it a few turns to try to mix the yeast in a little, then went off for the day. Got home this arvo and there was still nothing, maybe a little bit of condensation on the lid.

So my question is, is the yeast dead or, being coopers yeast, is the wort at 14* too cold for the yeast to take off quickly? What should i do?

Edit: i was worried and in doubt so picted a morgans lager yeast just incase

because of the cooler fermenting temp it will take the yeast longer to build up steam. esp since you used dried yeast without rehydrating (theres nothing wrong with that, it just takes a little longer). be patient.

given that youve pitched another yeast in, I dont really see that you have a problem anyway as you've sort of solved your problem anyway if the coopers yeast wasnt viable. relax and have a beer.

Yeah i got caught out that myself today ,Found out i just had to nip the lid up another 1/8" of turn 10 mins later we are away...

Great Avatar Hotboost. A real winner

Rodders

Back