Coopers Kits On Special At Coles 27/8 To 2/9/07

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabster

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just thought I'd let all the K & K'ers, toucanners and so on out in Home brew land know that my Coles catalogue just arrived and lists Coopers kits on special this week for $8.99, a saving of $1.49.

This is a good price to stock up for some warmer weather "quick and dirty" brews to bulk up that inventory.

The ad doesn't say which of the Coopers range, but shows the Draught and Pale Ale? (label obscured, green lid though) Hope you can get the range you want at your local store, Cheerz Wabster

man i went to coles the other day and noticed every thing is on special, in fact half the crap in the store is on special, good specials too, going shopping tomorrow i think.
Yeah and also the cascade kits are reduced.

My local Coles doesn't stock the Cascade kits anymore.
Boooooooooo!!!!!

Did a quick partial late last night and popped up to coles to grab a can. Great price. They had the original series on special. The Real Ale, the Draught and the Lager. I grabbed the Real Ale. Recipe ended up:

1 can Real Ale.
1kg of base malt
500g crystal
130g chocolate
Mini mashed the grain in 5l of water for 45min at about 65C.
rinsed with 2l of water at 72C
boiled for 60min, added can with 10min to go and then added 20g of Amarillo at flame out.
Dumped on top of a whitebread yeast cake that was available last night.

TAsted nice going into the fermenter. Certainly a cheap and quick way to build the stocks. Might go back to today and grab a few more.....

Plastic man........ I have no idea what you just said!

Did a quick partial late last night and popped up to coles to grab a can. Great price. They had the original series on special. The Real Ale, the Draught and the Lager. I grabbed the Real Ale. Recipe ended up:

1 can Real Ale.
1kg of base malt
500g crystal
130g chocolate
Mini mashed the grain in 5l of water for 45min at about 65C.
rinsed with 2l of water at 72C
boiled for 60min, added can with 10min to go and then added 20g of Amarillo at flame out.
Dumped on top of a whitebread yeast cake that was available last night.

TAsted nice going into the fermenter. Certainly a cheap and quick way to build the stocks. Might go back to today and grab a few more.....
like your crystal do you... B)

Plastic Man,

Sounds like a light Porter rather than a dark ale based on the chocolate.

what was the base malt - Light Dry Malt Extract ?

BOG

Also worth noting that they have PET bottles on special (ie, Coopers 15 pack) for those who like to use new bottles or need a few extra.

BOG - it was just a kg of Pilsener malt as it was a partial.

Quick and dirty dark ale - but with the cheap coopers can and some spare grain it's a quick and easy way to get some stock back in. (Had the end of season under 8's soccer BBQ at our house last W/E so needed to replenish supplies. The kids were well behaved but the parents got a bit out of control !!!)

There that price @ big w all the time, but does it also include the international series as the bavarian lager is bloody nice!

There that price @ big w all the time, but does it also include the international series as the bavarian lager is bloody nice!
Didn't realise you still liked the kits, DC?
Not sure about them, but I saw at my local Coles the Cascade range were down to the $9ish mark as well (from $12.50ish), so it's a good chance the internationals are too.

I just went and checked out the range in my local Coles, and it doesn't appear that ALL the Coopers stuff is on special, though with the usual chaos on the shelves in our local one, it IS hard to tell.

I got a couple of real ale, use by date is 04/09, does anyone know how long a Use By date they have when the leave the factory? Cheerz Wab.

I got a couple of real ale, use by date is 04/09, does anyone know how long a Use By date they have when the leave the factory? Cheerz Wab.

From memory, the 'Best By' date is 2 years after manufacturing. So that would mean yours came off the line April 07 - fairly fresh for a supermarket.

Our local BiLo had some good specials on brew kits too, some of the good name brand ones were a few bucks off... but the coopers brew kits (without bottles) were on "special" for $89! And the bottles were an extra $16 or so... but the ones at Kmart are $60 with bottles IIRC!

My little brother has caught the brewing bug (hopefully not the drinking one lol) and has toddled off to buy one for ginger beer, inspired by the 6 day turnaround mentioned here recently.

Latest posts

Back