Coopers Ipa Hop Level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccoullough1

Reaction score
New to the game and have caught the bug, been reading everything i can get my hands on including a lot of helpful info from this forum.

So far its been all good APA, Sparkling Ale, Pilsener
This one has stumped me going to do a coopers IPA the can says high hoping levels does this mean bitter/flavour/aroma was going to add some cascade but unsure, plus 1kg LDME, 300g dextrose, any info would be great thanks.

From personal experience, the Coopers IPA kit, like most of their kits, isn't too heavily hopped. Its definately a good idea to add some extra hops if you want them to shine through.

Oddly enough I purchased a Coopers (pilsner) kit yesterday and it concerned me a bit because they don't actually mention what kind of hops or the potential IBU you can get from using it. But yeah, I can't imagine its all too high, as with the IPA.
So feel free to go nuts and add plenty of hops, if you're into that sort of thing.

From personal experience, the Coopers IPA kit, like most of their kits, isn't too heavily hopped. Its definately a good idea to add some extra hops if you want them to shine through.

Oddly enough I purchased a Coopers (pilsner) kit yesterday and it concerned me a bit because they don't actually mention what kind of hops or the potential IBU you can get from using it. But yeah, I can't imagine its all too high, as with the IPA.
So feel free to go nuts and add plenty of hops, if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah, Coopers have a policy of not making what type of hops they use in what kit public. The only thing they have revealed is they use Pride of Ringwood to bitter all their products except the Mexican Cerveza which has no bittering component. They do use other hops too for flavouring but won't say which one they use in which. But they apparently use most of the main types like Saaz, Goldings etc. I read this on a post in a forum from a guy who sent Coopers an email and asked about it (you could try that too). Doing a search on Google will reveal most of the Coopers kit's IBU levels: the majority of these listings are in overseas Home Brew Shops. The only kits I haven't seen IBU info for is the Cerveza, which would be very low anyway.

Thanks
going to add some Cascade, 20g 20 mins
10g 5 mins
Goldings, 10g 5 mins

i would stick with just cascade, i think the goldings will conflict with it. i'd do:

20g cascade 20 mins
20g cascade 10 mins
20g cascade 5 mins
dry hop 20g cascade

that will give you a fresher cascade burst that it looks like you are shooting for

what sized boil are you doing, and you should be doing the boil just with your malt extract and dextrose, do not put the kit can in the boil.

Will take your advise and only use cascade. For future reference what should use other than Goldings.

Boil will be 2ltr. will only add malt & dex

goldings are a good hop in my experience but are more suited to an english bitter or english pale ale, cascades are the trademark of american apas so a different taste. other hops you can use for flavour and aroma in an American Pale Ale are amarillo which is similar to cascade but not quite as floral, as well maybe as a little simcoe or a little chinook, however be careful with how much of the simcoe and chinook you use, as they are high AA% and have quite profound flavours.

those cascade levels i mentioned won't be overbearing because your hop utilization will be quite low due to the small boil. you will like the dry hop.

Do you think Four'n'Twenty write on the pack what parts of the bull they put in meat pies? Not saying Coopers use bad hops, but yeah.

EDIT: To add something on topic, the IPA should already be bittered more than most other kits, but as for this kit and every other kit, flavour/aroma hops always help.

Back