Coopers Heritage Lager/bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys, well i was planning on making a bock from coopers heritage lager and a masterbrew bock pack, brewmaster european lager yeast,now i was going to make this up to about 15 litres to give it a sg of about65/70.fg of 12/14. now i am thinking to do a more lighter drinking style, the actual recipe says to 23 litres, has any one done this kit to 23 litres, this would make it a lighter beer but i am wondering if there is any suggestions out there to make this a more summer ,easy drinking style
cheers
fergi

ps, i assume the heritage lager has a proper lager yeast under the lid, i dont use lid yeast anymore but is this one worth keeping or using .

acording to cooper the heritage range has larger yeast in it. i have not made this kit so i cant comment on the 23 ltr batch but with other coopers kits i have done the full 23 ltr and i found that it came out too watery so i do all kits at the 19 ltr mark and i find that they come out better plus at that point you get 24 long necks which is a nice even number

My standard brew amount is 21L, maybe a half litre over sometimes. I've found the Coopers Premium and Brewmaster ranges to be pretty good, so I don't forsee any problems. Of course, you could always go the 'aussie belgian' and brew a Sparkling Ale kit according to directions, haha.

Cheers - boingk.

PS: Just out of interest, d'you know whats in the 'bock pack'?

Cheers - boingk.

PS: Just out of interest, d'you know whats in the 'bock pack'?
[/quote]

not sure whats in the pack boingk,its from the master brew series original recipe from GRUMPYS up at Verdun in the adelaide hills, bill at holden hill does them now,it looks like, malt,dextrose,hops,and a mixture of grains, GMK gave me a keg of the bock already made up to 14 litres and it is great, very malty , with some late hops in secondry, 1070 sg fg 1012 ,
cheers
fergi

Anything from Grumys is good stuff and following directions wouldn't hurt. Still, if you've tried an example made up to the volume you've specified and you liked it, I see no reason not to make it how you want. Especially with those righteous SG/FG figures :beerbang:

- boingk

Hey fergi,

I happened to email Coopers re yeast the other day and got this response:

"This info was given on our Coopers Club members forum, in reply to Dr Smurto, back in Oct 07. I assume that he took this info and placed in on the AHB site.

A cut and paste from the members forum:

Original Series:- A (Coopers owned but not the same strain as the yeast in Coopers commercial ales)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale A+L
Mexican Cerveza A+L
European Lager L
Canadian Blonde A

Brewmaster Selection:-
Wheat A
IPA A
Irish Stout A
Pilsener L

Premium Selection:- A+L

Of course, you need to consider pitching rates if you want to ferment at low temps 7g is not nearly enough for a 23 litre brew fermented at 10C. I would be using at least 1g per litre, start the ferment at 22C-24C for 12hrs then draw it down to the low ferment temp."

All of the above is a quote direct from an employee at Coopers. A = ale yeast. L = Lager. A/L = combination of the two

Thought you might find it interesting / helpful.

cheers,
hop

hi guys, well i was planning on making a bock from coopers heritage lager and a masterbrew bock pack, brewmaster european lager yeast,now i was going to make this up to about 15 litres to give it a sg of about65/70.fg of 12/14. now i am thinking to do a more lighter drinking style, the actual recipe says to 23 litres, has any one done this kit to 23 litres, this would make it a lighter beer but i am wondering if there is any suggestions out there to make this a more summer ,easy drinking style
cheers
fergi

ps, i assume the heritage lager has a proper lager yeast under the lid, i dont use lid yeast anymore but is this one worth keeping or using .

Whoops I forgot to say in the last post that the Heritage Lager kit, based on the info provided to me, contains a combo of Ale and Lager yeast.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Whoops I forgot to say in the last post that the Heritage Lager kit, based on the info provided to me, contains a combo of Ale and Lager yeast.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

thanks for that info hopalot, very handy to know
fergi

Back