Coopers Dark Ale Yeast Reculture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
So far I have made k&k Coopers dark ale which Im happy with and drinking as I type! I have also made k&k Tooheys Dry Lager which is bottled in secondary.

After reading all the great advice, Ive decided I want to take the next small step in my home brewing adventures. Following the 'reculturing coopers bottle yeast' walk through posted by Enerjex. Today I started to reculture store purchased Coopers Dark Ale yeast.

Staying fairly basic can any one recomend a simple recipe using the Coopers Dark Ale k&k and recultured yeast that will improve on the one I have already made?

Cheers, Kongy

make the one you made if your happy with it. It will be totally different with the coopers yeast and you can see what the different yeast does to the beer.

make the one you made if your happy with it. It will be totally different with the coopers yeast and you can see what the different yeast does to the beer.

Sounds like a good plan and expirement. It will be interesting to see the difference. Would the coopers dark ale recultured yeast have any special traits or would the stock standard 18 degrees untill 3 days of equal SG be a good method?

Just make sure you check the expiry dates of everything you use.

ALL Coopers Ale yeasts are the same.Even the Stout.

Coopers actually advocate re-cultering their yeast from the bottles.

You will get the best performance from Mild or Pale, as they are a lower Alc Beer.

The lower the Alc beer you get your yeast from, this includes home brew, the better the yeast will be.

Coopers dried yeast is different to their bottle yeast.

Coopers have not been able to dry their bottle yeast, so there dry yeast is not the same

Also I found the thread on the culturing yeast to be underpitching so make it to what the article says (600ml starter from memory) and if you do it in a 2lt bottle I would step it up (make another 600-800ml starter and cool to the temp of the fermented one you have once the activity starts dying down - prob 2 days or so if you dont have a stir plate).

People complain about banana in the coopers yeast if fermented at 18c or higher but I think its from under pitching. I done a batch with dregs of 3 stubbies to 700ml starter and step upto 1.1lts and I got banana aroma all threw ferment at 17.5 it faded when done in the taste and aroma fairly quick. I pitched same brew onto the yeast cake and no banana threw ferment and was cleaner and better at kegging then the one kegged 7 days before and it fermented at 18c as was low on beer :p also was done in 4 days.

This is a little something I made when my little girl was born and I had no time to brew.

Knocked it up while cooking dinner and baby sitting.

20 min Dark Ale - 23 litres abv 5.0%
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
0.5 kg Morgans Roasted Black malt
1 kg Brew Enhancer 2
0.5 kg Light Dry Malt

yeast of your choice of course

I made it as I thought it would be better than having nothing at all to drink
however it turned out to be quite a nice dark beer and very like the Stout only not so strong.

Hey cheers for all the in put. B)

So I ended up throwing the reculture down the drain. For a few reasons, but mainly because I didnt want to ruin a full batch of beer with it and I didnt trust my finished product!

Few questions - I got the feeling from a few posts that I would get a fair bit of yeast action with this, but contrary to this I only got a slight bouble and the ring of scum associated with it only came about 5mm up the bottle. There was about 7mm of white sediment at the bottom of the jar, it was a very clean looking off white. No bad smell and I had a little taste with no offensive flavours.

Do you think this re culture would of done the job in a 23litre batch ???

Cheers,
Kongy.

How many bottles did you get the yeast dregs from?

I've seena CPA yeast extraction method that recommends 2 x 750 ml longnecks.

I've done CPA from a single longneck with success.

And objectively how gfood was your seperation of the clear beer from the yeast rich sediment.

And perhaps ( I have no idea really ) the dark ale doesn't seperate as well as the Pale, just a dumb idea
ready to be shattered by others who might knwo better.

could anyone please post the steps on how to reculture the coopers (or any yeast) as i am very interested and cant find how to do it on here..

cheers.

could anyone please post the steps on how to reculture the coopers (or any yeast) as i am very interested and cant find how to do it on here..

cheers.

Here you go Jake.

here

I don't do the bottles separately, I tip the dregs of 4 or 6 Pale Ale stubbies into one santized glass 1 litre bottle instead, pour in 600ml of cooled boiled water with 4 tablespoons of LDME dissolved in it.

Hey cheers for all the in put. B)

So I ended up throwing the reculture down the drain. For a few reasons, but mainly because I didnt want to ruin a full batch of beer with it and I didnt trust my finished product!

Few questions - I got the feeling from a few posts that I would get a fair bit of yeast action with this, but contrary to this I only got a slight bouble and the ring of scum associated with it only came about 5mm up the bottle. There was about 7mm of white sediment at the bottom of the jar, it was a very clean looking off white. No bad smell and I had a little taste with no offensive flavours.

Do you think this re culture would of done the job in a 23litre batch ???

Cheers,
Kongy.

No that sounds about right and similar to what I've found. You should get some fizz though when you tip the bottle upside down and back though. But sounds like that would have been fine.

Back