Coopers Carbonation Yeast ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All..............Went to my LHBS for some supplies and happened to mention that I was reculturing yeast from a Coopers stubby..........I was then informed that it was a useless exercise as coopers filter out the fermentation yeast then adds a different yeast to carbonate in the bottle..........
I've trolled these forums long enough and haven't heard anything about this........if it is infact event true........
I think if it walks like and talks like a duck.....it probably is........
Any ideas?
Cheers

Hi All..............Went to my LHBS for some supplies and happened to mention that I was reculturing yeast from a Coopers stubby..........I was then informed that it was a useless exercise as coopers filter out the fermentation yeast then adds a different yeast to carbonate in the bottle..........
I've trolled these forums long enough and haven't heard anything about this........if it is infact event true........
Any ideas?
Cheers

TIFO

bottle yeast is suitable for fermentation. As I know it Coopers do clean up/ filter brew then insert fresh batch of same yeast to bottle condition.

Doesn't mean you have to love the yeast though :D

Any ideas?
Cheers

There is a thread on here somewhere.
Coopers do filter out the fermentation yeast and add fresh yeast for conditioning, the good news is it is the same yeast.
Confirmed by Coopers after an email enquiry from Braufrau IIRC.

Nige

Does this LHBS happen to sell yeast and did the informant try to sell you some? I thought so. :)

Coopers do not filter their ales before bottling, but they do re-seed with yeast and as already said, it's the same strain.

Nope........didin't try to sell me yeast.........and recommended that I don't make the move into extract brewing either.........just to stick with the kits.........weird.....

From another thread here

OK ... from the horses mouth (aka Frank at Coopers). Not sure why he's calling me Megan ... oh well! :)

G'day Megan, yes we are aware of this practice - in fact we encourage it
by providing a procedure for those wanting to culture our yeast from the
bottle. The same strain of yeast is used for seeding the bottles as for
primary fermentation. For a more detailed description of our procedures
do the virtual tour:
http://www.coopers.com.au/virtualBrewTour/default.php

Cheers,

Frank Akers
Customer Service
Coopers Brewery
461 South Road
Regency Park
SA 5010

Ph: 08 8440 1800

If you like the beer, you'll love the Club!

http://www.coopers.com.au

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 20 April 2008 8:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: CSA yeast

Hi,

I'm sure you know that many homebrewers culture your yeast from CSA
and CPA bottles.
There is some debate whether the yeast in the bottles is the same as
that used for primary fermentation.
Can you tell us the truth please?

regards
Samantha

and this from the Coopers Tour site
"Beer is piped from the fermenting vessels through a centrifuge to remove the yeast and small amounts of gelatinised proteins.
After clarification, the beer is seeded with fresh yeast (same strain as used in primary fermentaion), primed with liquid sugar and transferred to a holding tank for same day packaging."
Perhaps filtered is not quite correct.
Nige

There are so many nae sayers about this question, I have a copy of the email to Braufrau saved on my PC...but Nige beat me to it. :lol:

And if the lhbs guy reckons kits are better than extract (without wanting to start a 'what is better' debate).....find another lhbs. The guy is obviously an idiot. You can tell him I said so, too. :lol:

There are so many nae sayers about this question, I have a copy of the email to Braufrau saved on my PC...but Nige beat me to it. :lol:

And if the lhbs guy reckons kits are better than extract (without wanting to start a 'what is better' debate).....find another lhbs. The guy is obviously an idiot. You can tell him I said so, too. :lol:

May be the same lhbs guy that told corne not to use a hydrometer :eek:

Nige

Coopers are honest when you ask a decent question...and thats a good thing, you only have to email or ring them

I have drank with the local Cooper's Rep at my local ( yes he does shout )

Coopers do go out of their way to promote, wont go outside their limits.

You wont find many big brewers that advocate using their yeast, yet alone telling you how to culture it..

Nope........didin't try to sell me yeast.........and recommended that I don't make the move into extract brewing either.........just to stick with the kits.........weird.....

Was this a brewcrapft shop ?? :ph34r:

Thanks all for the info.......especially the e-mail.........makes me want to go back and show him........
I think I will make a HBS that is 6hrs away my local (CraftBrewer).......

Mantis.........yes it was a brewcraft shop.......why is that?

some brewcraft shops promote their kits ( and their profits) more than the art of making beer ;)

edit: fat fingers

Just watch out for Craft brewer!!

I have read and heard that they supply great service, fresh ingredients, correct advice and overall everything you need from a HBS..... Hey, I am just tellin what I have heard - your call!!

Just watch out for Craft brewer!!

I have read and heard that they supply great service, fresh ingredients, correct advice and overall everything you need from a HBS..... Hey, I am just tellin what I have heard - your call!!

Sage advice Cocko. Last time I met Ross and Mothballs both of them shoved a beer in my hand

Sage advice Cocko. Last time I met Ross and Mothballs both of them shoved a beer in my hand

Surely you jest!! A homebrew shop and they shoved a beer in your hand!! :eek:

Thats funny, cause last time I was at Brewcraft they jammed a out of date 25g hops teabag in my hand and it was ONLY $8!!

Surely you jest!! A homebrew shop and they shoved a beer in your hand!! :eek:

Thats funny, cause last time I was at Brewcraft they jammed a out of date 25g hops teabag in my hand and it was ONLY $8!!

Typical!

actually it was a while ago, just before Ross moved into the new shop. I have reserved an entire day for home brew related (craftbrewer) activities on my next visit to the rellys in that neck of the woods. that is in addition to possible microbrewery safaris :D

I agree..........my first 2 19L kegs and fridgemate rocked up today..........lightning service from CB.......
am very excited..........hence why I am talking beer when I should be asleep....... :lol:

Latest posts

Back