Coopers bookmakers pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Reaction score
Has anyone used the boot makers can?
I have searched but can't find anything much on it.
I grabbed a can and was wondering what hops or fermentables others have used if any.
Was thinking 200g crystal, 1kg ldm and Galaxy/mosaic.
Any input appreciated especially how the can is only $3 dearer than the standard apa so it doesn't have to be much better to warrant using it.

Cheers.

Hey man. I used it for a brew for my uncle. Only tasted it today
I used the following.
I can
1kg LMD
300g dextrose.
200g of crystal.
15g flame out galaxy.

Its a nice drop but a bit dry for me. Its up to you. Id remove the dextrose and put malt. Nice and diff. Give it a go.

Could u taste the nutty flavour the can states?

Righto I'll be sure to hop and malt it up. Cheers.

Toad said:
Righto I'll be sure to hop and malt it up. Cheers.
Id also 100% use a better yeast. This one was ok, but us05 or something similar would be a great change. some maltodextrin would be great too.

Was wondering about the yeast. Us05 is the bomb but wasn't sure weather the can yeast would be worth a try with this one.

Toad said:
Was wondering about the yeast. Us05 is the bomb but wasn't sure weather the can yeast would be worth a try with this one.
Yeh i thought the same, gave it a go. But has that real coopers pale ale taste. Something im not after

Yeah I'm going to be cautious with the kit yeasts that come with the new cans. The one that came with an amber ale can totally wrecked the batch.

Yeh myself and a few others found it very similar flavour to coopers pale ale (obviously as its the same company) this isnt desirable for me to i wont again. Its not bad, i just found it dry and give you a full feeling, stomach full.

decr said:
Yeah I'm going to be cautious with the kit yeasts that come with the new cans. The one that came with an amber ale can totally wrecked the batch.
Dunno if it's the kit yeast or my new hose.. I have done 3 bad batches out of 5 and and come to think of it every one that went bad was coopers tc rebranded jobs (new APA, IPA and Amber ale)

The other 2 were a saison and a dark ale. Both from coopers base. But different yeast!!

I thought that that the other 2 may have been because of the other fermenter were filled second and the chlorine smelling portion had passed but not its sounding more like the yeast!! I think I filled them at the same time!

Coopers

Digga said:
Dunno if it's the kit yeast or my new hose.. I have done 3 bad batches out of 5 and and come to think of it every one that went bad was coopers tc rebranded jobs (new APA, IPA and Amber ale)

The other 2 were a saison and a dark ale. Both from coopers base. But different yeast!!

I thought that that the other 2 may have been because of the other fermenter were filled second and the chlorine smelling portion had passed but not its sounding more like the yeast!! I think I filled them at the same time!

Coopers
Can you describe a little more on bad? Fruity? Sour? Dry? Not tastey?
Helps with the learning process
Cheers

Digga said:

Coopers
Bugger that's really frustrating!
Sounds like a sanitation or fermentation issue. We all know many factors can cause bad beer.
Have you changed any of equipment or processes?

Will definitely be buying bulk us05

Fendercaster said:
Can you describe a little more on bad? Fruity? Sour? Dry? Not tastey?
Helps with the learning process
Cheers
I am pritty bad a describing tastes so excuse my lack of depth.
I was tasting during fermentation and basically the flavor deminished as it went. Kinda tastes like chlorine or something with a sour hit at the back end.

Don't think it was infection the beers look fine and the bottles that were left after kegging haven't exploded. Finished gravity was normal and the beers still have body just this shit flavor.

peekaboo_jones said:
Bugger that's really frustrating!
Sounds like a sanitation or fermentation issue. We all know many factors can cause bad beer.
Have you changed any of equipment or processes?
Haven't changed the way I have sanitized / cleaned the equipment and have used the same fermenters after these bad batches and produced fine beer and cider. The only thing I can put it down to is the hose... it does smell very plastic and of chlorine so have been filling cubes directly out of the tab and dumping that in.

Have done around 40 batches and only these 3 bad ones in the last 7.

Just keep on trucking!

Digga said:
Haven't changed the way I have sanitized / cleaned the equipment and have used the same fermenters after these bad batches and produced fine beer and cider. The only thing I can put it down to is the hose... it does smell very plastic and of chlorine so have been filling cubes directly out of the tab and dumping that in.

Have done around 40 batches and only these 3 bad ones in the last 7.

Just keep on trucking!
Yeh man. Sounds like some part of the kit. Best Try again and replace what you think. Im putting mine down to the yeast. Ill keep you posted when i do but im off thate for a little. But ill post back here when i do.

Digga said:

Coopers
Went back to LHBS and mentioned how shit it was, they said yep bad batch of yeast and gave me another kit for free. The white scum I got on top is apparently a known issue. Now do I dare to brew it or not...

Back