Coopers Bavarian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi again,
quick update i went to lhbs yesterday and picked up bavarian lager tin, and 1kg ldm and 500grm dex, but he had run out of saaz, so i went with halletau, so i'll give that a crack. Another thing the owner said that the kit came with an ale yeast???

But the codes on the yeast packets are different from the bavarian lager to one i've still got from a canadian blonde kit, so mt question is are they two differnt yeast or a variation of an ale yeast???

mike

You've been given bad advice. Some people assume that all Coopers kits come with an ale and this is true except that the Bavarian lager comes with a true lager yeast and the Mexican Cerveza has an ale lager mix. I'm 100% sure about this and the Coopers kit instructions also have a small section at the back which says this and gives special instructions for brewing with it. I made a Bavarian recently fermented at very low temps and the flavour is pure lager, so ignore the owner's advice as he is either misinformed or is trying to sell more product.

I don't think was trying to rip me off, because he gave me saflager s-23 yeast for nix

Yeah, thats good. Sorry about that I was just being a bit cynical. He is however misinformed about it coming with an ale yeast.

hi again,
quick update i went to lhbs yesterday and picked up bavarian lager tin, and 1kg ldm and 500grm dex, but he had run out of saaz, so i went with halletau, so i'll give that a crack. Another thing the owner said that the kit came with an ale yeast???

But the codes on the yeast packets are different from the bavarian lager to one i've still got from a canadian blonde kit, so mt question is are they two differnt yeast or a variation of an ale yeast???

mike
i could be wrong...but i seem to remember reading that if the cooper yeast has a code in black ink wriiten on back with a "P" at the end it is a lager yeast...
cheers simpletotoro

hi heres what i did last sunday
don't ask me what it like it is still fermenting and is the first time i've used this kit
for what its worth heres the recipe...
1 x 1.7 kg tin coopers barvaria
1000g LDM
300g dextrose

grains
carapils 250g [steeped 70-80/c then boiled 1/2 hour]
crsytal malt 250g [steeped 70-80/c then boiled 1/2 hour]

hops schedule
10g nz saaz @ 30 mins
5g mt hood @ 30 mins
10g mt hood @ 10 mins
10g mt hood @ 1 min

yeast coopers lager yeast from tin [is pilsner yeast ]
ferment 10-14/c

How did this turn out toro?

have you had a bit of a drink yet? I'm looking at doing something similar!

Back