Coopers 2012 Vintage Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drank a 98 a few months back. Liquid was very dark with large chunks through it. Tasted more like a musty port than a beer.
Drinkable, but I probably wouldn't open it.

Edit- my apologies, after going through my iPhone photos (I tend to take photos of the beers I drink) it was the 99 I drank, not the 98.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the 98 is different to all the others that came after, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it wasn't bottle conditioned? Where's Dr Tim when you need him?
Last time I tasted a '98, I thought it was bit past its prime. Same with the '99, as far as I remember.

I read somewhere that the standard coopers range of pale, dark and sparkling has no intention of moving to the smaller bottles, at least.

picked up 2 bottles the other day, they finaaly arrived locally,
cracked one tonight while cooking the barbie, very nice,
I got the impression of a nice malty pommy bitter with a whack of 'c' hop flavour. may be wrong but regardless I enjoyed it,
in fact I may grab another bottle or 2 for longer cellaring.

Anyone drinking this that could have a crack at an AG recipe - would like to try and knock some up...

Dunno about everyone else but I found the 2012 to be astonishingly bland and underwhelming.

I am still hanging onto the glory that was the 2010 version.

Dunno about everyone else but I found the 2012 to be astonishingly bland and underwhelming.

This seems to be a common "problem" with all companies showcase beers and limited releases...maybe they are "dumbing down" for the mass market?

Hey Josh,

Maybe it's the logistics chain up to us in the Central Coast/Hunter.

I bought a 2012 Vintage at Dan's after becoming enthused by this thread. Seemed remarkably low-hopped and close to the Celebration ale, which was bought from a local liquor chain in Adamstown and was also disappointingly under-hopped. Not sure why I bought a whole case. Maybe increasingly misplaced respect for Coopers products?

I would really expect a Special beer to enthrall me, not just amuse me, and both these beers were merely amusing.

The 2010 was great, so I rushed out and grabbed 2 cases of the 2011, it was nowhere near as impressive and after a year cellaring it hasn't gotten much better. I guess I'll sample a 2012 at some stage, but will not be parting with my hard earned for a whole slab. IMO most of the Coopers range seems to have changed to some extent over the years, and not for the better. Tis a shame.

I got to try a Fullers Vintage last year. I forget what vintage it was, but that is what the coopers vintage use to taste like.

Now I am just acting like some tosser who goes on about how things were better in my day....

But seriously coopers, dial in some richness.

I also tried a 10 yo coopers vintage, tasted like a cross between a belgian dubbel and a sherry. remarkable experience. I just can't imagine the current vintage would age well. There is just nothng there to start with.

fullers_vintage_ale_07.jpg

@Hoppy2B

When you drink the 98 vintage make sure it is at room temperature to fully appreciate it. Too cold and the malt gets lost behind the sherry/port flavours.

Still working my way through 98 and 99, at last count i was down to 3 or 4 bottles of each. The carton of 2000 remains unopened.

Really enjoy having one every now and then to sip on in front of the fire.

From what i have read, beer should be consumed within 12 months of the manufacture date . What makes this beer so great after sitting in the cellar for 6 or so years? I guess the high ABV would help?
A friend of mine posted a picture of a 98 vintage on facebook and said it was the best beer he ever tasted. I have strong doubts.

Latest posts

Back