Coopers Vintage 2013 Extra Strong Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundawake

Reaction score
Managed to snare myself a sneaky pre release carton of this year's Vintage Ale.

Its definitely changed since last year's. And you would expect so. Last year they used Perle, Magnum, Nelson Sauvin, Centennial and Cascade. This year - its Styrian Goldings, Centennial, Chinook and Citra.

Hops definitely feature a lot more up front. Citra is easily detected in the nose and in the taste as well. A more craft beer like vibe from it.

I quite like it. Much prefer it to the 2012. And completely different from the equally awesome 2011.

null_zps7cd647fa.jpg

last years was great, gonna have to try this, sounds tasty as :icon_drool2:

I won a sample pack from Coopers. 3 bottles in a wooden case and a vintage ale bottle shaped USB stick...

Pretty happy with that!!

I tried the 2013 vintage ale at the Darwin Beer Festival last weekend.

Honestly the glass I tried tasted pretty much 100% like Coopers yeast to me. That's all I could get from it. No hops or malt, just yeast. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something.

.DJ. said:
I won a sample pack from Coopers. 3 bottles in a wooden case and a vintage ale bottle shaped USB stick...

Pretty happy with that!!
Lucky *******. I entered that comp. Last year I won, I won a set of the VIntage Ale glasses, one of which you can see in the photo.

2012 is one of my favorite beers - I feel like a bit of a megaswiller as not many others liked it due to it's lack of craft beer type qualities :lol:

soundawake said:
Lucky *******. I entered that comp. Last year I won, I won a set of the VIntage Ale glasses, one of which you can see in the photo.
its a nice set, however the rear label was stuck on upside down.... are yours from the case like that?

.DJ. said:
its a nice set, however the rear label was stuck on upside down.... are yours from the case like that?
Rear label? On the glasses?

That's hilarious. I wonder if it was done on purpose as they were not meant to be sold, or if it was a mistake. Either way, I'd be hanging on to them

I emailed them and they said these are the only ones they know of...

I was hoping it was something like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket and id get the keys to the brewery... But no... ;)

only one - my arse. the whole run would have gone out like that. haha.

maybe you're meant to read it while pouring?

Liam_snorkel said:
only one - my arse. the whole run would have gone out like that. haha.

maybe you're meant to read it while pouring?
my intial thought was they did the sample packs because a fair few bottles had labels up the wrong was so they could only give them away. However, the guy at coopers says he doent know of any other bottles like this....

I downed a 2012 on Saturday whilst cooking the barbie, certainly a different beast to 12 months ago, 2 bottles in storage for a drink each year before the new batch comes out.
Looking forward to this year, may have to get a six'er to last a few extra years.

I won a sample pack too and all the labels on the back of my bottles are upside down.

The competition is a good way to offload a dodgy batch. I'm not complaining though :p

The 2013 vintage is a nice drop, even though it is really young. Not a patch on the 2011 vintage IMO.

Yum i had a 2012 last week also - it has matured beautifully, they still have some at my local dans might get another carton me thinks..

i guess the test is to give the 2013 6 months and then a full year.

Josho said:
Yum i had a 2012 last week also - it has matured beautifully, they still have some at my local dans might get another carton me thinks..
Anyone know if they special them when the next year comes out at Dan's?

Logman said:
Anyone know if they special them when the next year comes out at Dan's?
In Adelaide at least, I haven't seen any 2012 Vintage at all since Oct last year. However I was just in Mt Gambier last weekend, on the border of SA and Vic and they had STACKS of 2012 Vintage. $75 a carton.

Latest posts

Back