Cool Beer Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpiratilla

Reaction score
That system uses pra you cool the beer wort.
I use a plate cooler like this one from 24 plates to 25 liters of wort, but clear water consumption is very high.

Plattenk_hler_24.2.jpg

I've heard that in your country you pass the beer wort to the fermenter once boiled and allowed to cool by itself.
How will this method?, Can I have you explain?, Do not have risks of contamination?

Greetings and thanks.

It is called no chill and there is a heap of info on here, some good and bad. Have a search and a read.

I use one of these and basically clean and sanitise it then drain my wort in via a hose, seal up and leave until cool. It changes how you add your hops, but how much depends on your processes. Works for me.

JD.

But this way it is very cloudy beer?
Because it's supposed to cool quickly prevents contamination and to put the beer cloudy.
Thanks and regards.

elpiratilla said:
But this way it is very cloudy beer?
Because it's supposed to cool quickly prevents contamination and to put the beer cloudy.
Thanks and regards.
Not at all. You can get crystal clear beers from this method, without contamination. The wort is pasteurised in the sealed, airtight container preventing contamination.

Lots of people use this method in Australia as it saves a lot of water, and water is something that is in very short supply here.

JD.

JDW81 said:
Not at all. You can get crystal clear beers from this method, without contamination. The wort is pasteurised in the sealed, airtight container preventing contamination.

Lots of people use this method in Australia as it saves a lot of water, and water is something that is in very short supply here.

JD.
Depends where you live... They are releasing water from Warragamba Dam in the Sydney catchment area - too much water, for once.

NewtownClown said:
Depends where you live... They are releasing water from Warragamba Dam in the Sydney catchment area - too much water, for once.
I'm from Spain-Andalusia, here also no shortage of water.
And last question:
How long will it take to cool?, And when it is cold and oxygenated yeast made​​?
greetings.

NewtownClown said:
The exception that proves the rule. Should have said water is generally in short supply here.

elpiratilla said:
I'm from Spain-Andalusia, here also no shortage of water.
And last question:
How long will it take to cool?, And when it is cold and oxygenated yeast made​​?
greetings.
Most people leave overnight (but some have left them sealed up for years with no ill effects), then transfer the wort into their fermenter, aerate and pitch.

JD.

As long as it is High density Polyethylene (HDPE, recycling symbol 2)

Back