Converting recipe to BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if I need to know any tricks / secrets for doing a BIAB with a traditional All Grain recipe? I haven't done an All Grain Brew before, and I thought BIAB would be my best option for my first attempt, with the limited equipment I have.

Do I have to do anything different, or is it just a matter of chucking all the grain in and mash as you normally would? Should I add extra grain in order to help reach my OG?

I understand the boil / hop profile would not change at all.

For example, would I need to make any changes to the following recipe? (This is an American recipe for a Founders All Day IPA (Clone), so sorry for the unit measurements)

All Grain
5.5 gallons
4.78% Abv
OG 1.047
FG 1.010
46 IBUs
Color 6.8 SRM
Mash 152 for 60 mins
Batch sparge with two steps

7.5 lbs Pale 2-row 78.9%
2 lbs crystal/caramel 20 21.1%
.75 oz cascade FWH 60 min 15.7 IBU
2 oz Amarillo gold 5 mins 11.7 IBU
2 oz centennial hop stand 15 mins 17.1 IBU
.25 oz cascade hop stand 15 mins 1.2 IBU

1 vial WLP001 or us-05 at 67 degrees F for 10 Days

Dry hop in secondary for 4 days with:
1 oz Centennial
1 oz amarillo gold

Cold crash for 3 days in 35-37 degree fridge

Bottle condition with 4 oz priming sugar for 2-3 weeks or force carb in keg.

As always, thanks for any help / suggestions.

Cheers :beer:

Get a copy of brewmate...free download.

you can put your figures in above then use settings to change to metric and also BIAB.

Then keep records of everything you do, every volume every temp and use that to fine tune for future brews.

to answer your question you don't need to change "anything" for the recipe, what you need to make sure is the efficiency the recipe is calculated on is "similar" the efficiency you will get (As a starting point try 60% for your first attempt) and as above get some s/w

Is your equipment large enough for a BIAB mash for 9.5lbs (~4.5kg) of grain and then a full voulme boil? If not you'll need to scale the ingredients to your volume

Software is a great help (brewmate was [is?] free, beersmith is pretty cheap at circa $30) if you're trying to take someone's recipe and convert for your own system. Its also useful for recording and reviewing data

Back