Converting A 19l Keg Into A Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesc

Reaction score
Has anyone tired or considered cutting say a 200mm section out of a 19l keg and get it welded back together.
I was looking at the keg the other day and i recon it could be done, but i don't have access to a tig at the moment so its pretty pointless for me to cut up a keg, i might ask a few people i know that do pressure vessel welding and see what their thoughts are.

It can be done. Ideally you need some rollers (eg trolley wheels) and a jig for your cutter to keep the cuts perfectly aligned.

Then tack the join, tape it up, purge the keg with argon, and tig a little bit at a time undoing the tape as you go. You need to find a skilled welder who knows what's going on at the other side of the weld without seeing it, or he can easily make a mess of it.

It can be done. Ideally you need some rollers (eg trolley wheels) and a jig for your cutter to keep the cuts perfectly aligned.

Then tack the join, tape it up, purge the keg with argon, and tig a little bit at a time undoing the tape as you go. You need to find a skilled welder who knows what's going on at the other side of the weld without seeing it, or he can easily make a mess of it.
Just as i thought, i may know just the right person, ill try and have a chat to him in the next week, but ive got a feeling in the end it would cost just about the same as buying one.

you can buy 11 litre kegs. They aren't common but i have seen a few.

they need to be a wielder qualified to do pressure vessels which is extremely hard to get this qualification

Unless you can do it yourself, or you've got a mate who can do it for nicks, it probably isn't worth it at all. Not only will it cost you money or beer, but you lose a perfectly good 19L keg in the process. I reckon it's also one of those jobs that looks easier than it is, so after all the effing and blinding you might feel obliged to tip them a bit more than you planned.

It has been done though, I've seen a couple of them over the years. They've all been the Rheem type with the round screw lid, I think the steel is thicker and therefore easier to weld.

Used 11L kegs come up on eBay every so often, but this guy has some brand new ones for $200.

Back