Continuing Echo Beach Appraisal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Update on previous posts.

Until recently I have been at a loss to appraise the several versions of Echo Beach,
Their original version is melodious and almost like a live version with little post-processing.

However, when I first encountered, I was impressed by the fresh treatment, although tricked up with a lot of reverberation and a little harsh in its vocal delivery. She tends to shout it out as a statement, rather than the introspecive narrative that the song should reflect.

Recently I have become aware of - apparently a theme song for a UK soapie. You would have to admit that the instrumental just whacks you over the head, so clean, so forceful. However after a few lines, Gabbie is obviously just reading off a card.

After some research, I now tend towards the original :icon_cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
this is pretty random dude. though echo beach is the mad shit. i like the original too. although the special effects in the Toyah Wilcox album are fairly impressive.

Hitting the malt liquor again there Bribie? :p

Cheers SJ

Have you heard the Midnight Oil version??

Prob late 70's maybe early 80's - when they were a surf band...

Update on previous posts.

Until recently I have been at a loss to appraise the several versions of Echo Beach,
Their original version is melodious and almost like a live version with little post-processing.

However, when I first encountered, I was impressed by the fresh treatment, although tricked up with a lot of reverberation and a little harsh in its vocal delivery. She tends to shout it out as a statement, rather than the introspecive narrative that the song should reflect.

Recently I have become aware of - apparently a theme song for a UK soapie. You would have to admit that the instrumental just whacks you over the head, so clean, so forceful. However after a few lines, Gabbie is obviously just reading off a card.

After some research, I now tend towards the original :icon_cheers:

since when do they administer methadone in old peoples homes ?

It is time you re-appraised your initial appraisal. That song is positively dripping with delays and heavy as **** compression. And, if you listen very closely, you can even hear some producer screaming in "Martha's" headphones saying "SOUND MORE LIKE BLONDIE, YOU BITCH!!!"

Nothing against the song - well not much, maybe just a bit too much skank for my tastes.

I hate this song with a passion and is the main reason i cannot listen to F.M. radio any more.The other song i cannot stand is "man overboard" by not drowning waving..vomit.

Reznor coving Zeppelin for a movie remake. Sounds interesting.

Funny how a tune can nail a specific snapshot in ones life.

This song reminds me of an ex who loved it, she would turn up the volume every time it came on and do a stupid kind of B 52 inspired dance, even in the car, it made her look like she suffered some kind of palsy.
She made me hate the song, and progressively, her also - not sure what came first.

Plus, I loved Alone with you - Sunnyboys - which she hated, so it was kind of a petty tit for tat. Must have been some 80's flashback program.

Around the same time I also hated Cold Chisel due to a fuckwit I went to school with who had a fondness for being a fuckwit and wearing a copy-cat Barnes kamikaze head band. I decided that Chisel fans were fuckwits and hence, the band itself.
Glad I put my prejudice aside with that one. Chisel obviously are Gods.

The dude I went to school with is still a fuckwit, he just lost the headband.
Some things never change.

I received a bunch of old records from some friends of my parents. Look what I found lurking amongst them. I thought of you bribie.

echo.JPG

Back