Connecting Perlick Tap To Andale Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephon

Reaction score
Hi All,

This might be a stupid question but I'm new to all of this and my head is spinning reading all the other threads about taps/fonts etc.

My question is if I buy a Perlick Tap (525ss) and an Andale font what adaptor (if any) do I need to connect the tap to the font?

Are the thread sizes on taps standard internationally or am I asking for trouble buying an American tap and trying to attach it to an Australian font?

Are there any other "gotchas" that I should be aware of?

I think that about covers it, thanks in advance!

Hi All,

This might be a stupid question but I'm new to all of this and my head is spinning reading all the other threads about taps/fonts etc.

My question is if I buy a Perlick Tap (525ss) and an Andale font what adaptor (if any) do I need to connect the tap to the font?

Are the thread sizes on taps standard internationally or am I asking for trouble buying an American tap and trying to attach it to an Australian font?

Are there any other "gotchas" that I should be aware of?

I think that about covers it, thanks in advance!
I got my perlicks direct from the US as well, and the snap-lock combo's that Ross has (as well as many others I'm sure - just where I got mine) work brewtifruly (real nice)

Simma if you have a font already you should have no dramas getting an adaptor onto the perlick taps.
Just make sure you get the right adaptor to suit your font.

Is it possible to post a picture of your font so people can advise?

Simma if you have a font already you should have no dramas getting an adaptor onto the perlick taps.
Just make sure you get the right adaptor to suit your font.

Is it possible to post a picture of your font so people can advise?

I don't have the font yet, the one I have been quoted on is the four tap version of this (it is quoted as coming without any adaptors so I assume it's just a bare font).

I asked the guy at Andale about it but he hadn't heard of the Perlick taps so couldn't be 100% sure about what I needed, though he thought I would probably need to use one of these snaplock adaptors which are actually more expensive than the taps I have bought and would push the price up a bit further than I've been given "approval" for :rolleyes: .

Any way of doing it a bit cheaper?

EDIT: I should have mentioned those snaplock adaptors were described as 3 1/4".

I don't have the font yet, the one I have been quoted on is the four tap version of this (it is quoted as coming without any adaptors so I assume it's just a bare font).

I asked the guy at Andale about it but he hadn't heard of the Perlick taps so couldn't be 100% sure about what I needed, though he thought I would probably need to use one of these snaplock adaptors which are actually more expensive than the taps I have bought and would push the price up a bit further than I've been given "approval" for :rolleyes: .

The simplest method I have seen to connect a brumby tap to a fount was a 3/4" to tap shank. It has a 3/4" male thread on one end and a coupling nut to attach the tap on the other.
My preference is to be able to remove the tap from a 'live' line but in a home setup it makes exactly no difference.

The only way I know of to directly atatch a tap to a fount is if the fount is designed to take the tap directly. Ross sells some unflodded founts that take a tap directly but AFAIK they are only suited to the tap they come with. I tried attaching a 'standard' brumby tap to one of these founts but the coupling nut would not go on firther than a turn. It might have been a bur on the thread, I don't know.
Ross would be able to advise further.

Your stuck with either Lock-in or Snaplock adaptors and shanks I'm afraid.

EDIT: I should have mentioned those snaplock adaptors were described as 3 1/4".

That would be 3/4" not 3 1/4". Trust me. :blink:

Lefty

Edit: more info

Your stuck with either Lock-in or Snaplock adaptors and shanks I'm afraid.

I had pretty much resigned to that being the case.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think for now I'm going to go with a collar on the old chest freezer instead of a font to keep within budget. Can always upgrade to a font later and some of those collars do look pretty slick. Will post pics once the idea becomes reality.

Regards,
Simon

I had pretty much resigned to that being the case.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think for now I'm going to go with a collar on the old chest freezer instead of a font to keep within budget. Can always upgrade to a font later and some of those collars do look pretty slick. Will post pics once the idea becomes reality.

Regards,
Simon
Yeah, It was a big shock to me as well, picked up a 3 tap font at a good price, got a few perlicks from the US for a good price, and the only nice way to attach them cost me more that the 2 things combined. I didn't have the space for a chesty, so forged ahead and paid the piper so-to-speak (i think she's over that one now, on to the next overspend)

Back