Conical Fermenter - stuck fermentation. - Dump?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
Didnt know how to title this properly to grab the attention appropriately.
Anyway, I have a 1/2 BBL SS Brewtech Unitank.
The last 2 brews I have had a stuck fermentation it seems, this time I decided to do it open rather than closed so that I could monitor the "bubbles" coming out of the lock.
The latest is a Belgian Wit all grain, OG 1049, with expected FG about 1010.
After 8 days at a gradual ramp up to 24C using WLP400, its only 1014.
So, today I gave the Fermenter a rigorous shake, and it seems the fermentation started again as bubbles one again appear and last a few hours, and then I repeat the operation.

Now I have heard that the WLP400 strain is a a bit finicky, but Im wondering if the shaking of the fermenter could be avoided if I dump some of the yeast after some days?

Any thoughts? Should I dump early?

Last edited:
If you are at 1014 after 8days, it sure is taking a while.

Did you:

what was the mash temp?

what is the expected final gravity?

adding pure oxygen to the wort prior to pitching yeast?

was the yeast a starter or straight from the packet?

Hi Dan,

I used recipe Beersmith's Wit, scaled up to double batch.
I had to substitute Gladfields wheat instead of Torrified Wheat as I couldnt get any.

Mash temp was 67.8C
OG 1049, expected FG should be 1012, but with my wheat substitute I was hoping a bit lower!!!
I added 3 mins of pure oxygen prior to pitching.
Pitching - I had one packets of yeast on the stir plate for 24 hours and one packet straight in

Today I dropped in a packet of dry champagne yeast Lalvin Ec-1118.
Its sitting at 24C. ( i know this is high for EC-1118)
I'll wait 24 hours, if no sign of further activity I'll crash cool and then Keg.
The wort tastes pretty good even warm :)

How do you measure mash temp and have you calibrated recently? What was your expected vs measured OG?

Last 2 brews sounds like it could be something outside the fermenter

How do you measure mash temp and have you calibrated recently? What was your expected vs measured OG?

Last 2 brews sounds like it could be something outside the fermenter

Good point!

I use a Guten 50L, and read the temp off the display. I will get the thermapen out next time and compare.

If the Guten is anything like my Robobrew v1, the temperature at the probe (next to the element in my case) will be dramatically different from the temperature inside the cooling mash (like maybe 5 degrees from memory if I have miscalculated strike temp in particular). I would stir and measure before mashing in with thermapen, then monitor actual mash temp again with thermapen.

Latest posts

Back