Condition Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

Question is this,

Does conditioning temp effect beer flavour and finish?

is there an optimum temp to condition beer,?

I'm doing stubbies and long necks and have a small room portioned off with a small column heater inside running on a low setting, thermometer reckons it's about 22/25 C in there,

Joe...

Even after yeast have finished the active fermentation stage, reached the final gravity and consumed all the simple sugars, they continue to do work in your brew, change certain compounds and eventually flocculate out.

When you bottle your beer, you add extra priming sugar. The yeast use this simple sugar and provide carbonation to the beer.

To allow both the carbonation and conditioning to occur, keep the bottle at the correct fermentation temperature for your yeast. Usually this takes about 2 weeks from when you bottle, then move the bottles somewhere cooler, a fridge is ideal, but most of us do not have extensive cool areas. Just store them in the dark and as cool as you can achieve. Often under the house is close to perfect.

22-25 is a bit high for most yeasts. See if you can get your fermentation temperature and also your bottle carbonation temperature down to 18-20.

So if I've done lager in the fridge at 11/15C does that beer then require conditioning at 11/15C for optimum results...Asking because I had a brew at 16/22C and it hadn't carbed at 2 weeks..

For a lager brewed with a lager yeast at 11-15 degrees, keep the bottles at 11-15 degrees.

If you only have one fridge and no more space, just leave the bottles somewhere coolish. Probably no need for a heater in Brisbane.

Lager brews take longer to ferment out and longer to bottle condition.

Back