Companion Megajet Burner Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
I bit the bullet, and bought a Megajet Burner from Ray's Outdoors, the other day.

Did a practice run last night. Ramped from 65 degrees to boil in 25 minutes. This was after starting off fairly low, and ramped the heat up a few times.

Just a couple of questions for those that use them.

1) How high do you set your burner? In the end, I had it somewhere between 1/6 to 1/4 of a turn.

2) Some of the powdercoating has burned off. Did you experience this? It put off a bit of an odour, which I don't need SWMBO complaining about.

Thanks.

Yeah the powder coating burns off, smokes and smells but it'll only do this once. (maybe twice if it didn't all burn off during your test run) I find it barely needs to be on to maintain a good boil too. Great burner.

how high to set the burner well on 50l batch it was pretty low to maintain boil, if your running too high you'll be fighting boil over the whole brew.

Going to pick mine up for $139 today. Taylors Lakes had no stock on Sunday, and havn't called me back about ordering one for me, so I asked the City store and they have stock and will do the sale price for me.

It looks pretty sturdy, and from all accounts uses less gas for a stonger boil than 3-4 ring burners?

Hey guys,

They are good burner's. I use mine to boil 60 liters of wort. I start off with it going flat out from mash out to boil and then ease it off a bit as the hot break rises. Once it starts boiling, I fine tune it as the wort evaporates to avoid a boil over/excessive boiling.

They are noisey buggers. Sounds like a space shuttle is taking off. Thats why I'm going all electric on my current build. 5500w of power.

brewologist said:
They are noisey buggers. Sounds like a space shuttle is taking off. Thats why I'm going all electric on my current build. 5500w of power.
They certainly do make some noise. Since getting my urn I do single batches in that and save the burner for double batches for that reason and also because the gas works out more expensive.

Can anyone say how much gas you'd expect to use on one of these things with say a 60m boil? Just curious how often you need to refill a 9kg bottle.

carniebrew said:
Can anyone say how much gas you'd expect to use on one of these things with say a 60m boil? Just curious how often you need to refill a 9kg bottle.
The standard reg is only 2kg per hour

brewologist said:
I get 4 double batches.
Yep, that sounds about right. Just make sure you don't go balls out the whole boil. Once it gets up to the boil you can back off a fair bit and still get a reasonable boil off.

If you go flat out you'll get too much evaporation and go through much more gas.

Khellendros13 said:
It looks pretty sturdy, and from all accounts uses less gas for a stonger boil than 3-4 ring burners?
I'd be curious to know actually. Since I got my adjustable regulator I've only been using 0.9kg gas for a 23L brew (60min boil) on my 3-ring burner.

Latest posts

Back