Commerical beer clone, carbonation level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memainmon

Reaction score
Making up a carlton draught clone kit, commercial beers i've noticed are always a bit bubblier, so does anyone know a guideline i could use for dex bottle priming for this one?

I generally use the old teaspoon for a stubbie, 2 a long neck rule and deal with a bit of inconsistency.Going of past beers and friends opinions (who are well ''experienced'' on session beers) home brew and craft beer are generally a bit less carbonated and i would have to up the carbonation a little to try to emulate carlton draught.

The main concern here is that you are trying to clone Carlton draught...??? :)
On my first brew I used the carbonation drops which give 8g/L that should probably give you what you are looking for.

Bulk prime is the only way to go! I wish I had of started doing it earlier as it is much better and can vary carb levels

The average co2 level for mega swill is 5.3g/L. I can't help convert that to sugar additions but it's a target.

tugger said:
The average co2 level for mega swill is 5.3g/L. I can't help convert that to sugar additions but it's a target.
any idea how to calcualate that? thanks

Matplat said:
On my first brew I used the carbonation drops which give 8g/L that should probably give you what you are looking for.
hahah its a session beer and im young, let me be. any idea on what that convert to per stubby when using sugar (dextrose)? :)

memainmon said:
hahah its a session beer and im young, let me be. any idea on what that convert to per stubby when using sugar (dextrose)? :)
3gms in 375mls. 6gms in 750mls. 8gms per litre. sugar is a little bit fizzier than dex.

Carlton Draught, I believe is around 4.8g/L - Draught is always lower co2 concentration.

Matplat said:
Look on the positive side--at least he isn't cloning VB.

Some figures all over the place there. My reference here calls for 2.5 vols CO2 for a light lager: 6.5g/l dextrose or 8.4 g/l of DME.

Let the man* clone whatever beer he wants, one man's pumpkin ale is another man's stout.

* Apologies if memainmon is not male

Latest posts

Back