Comet Mcnaught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've viewed this over a few nights last week. every time i've seen it i've been in aw and can't help but just look at and marvel. very beautiful.

i went marroning in collie on the weekend (again) and friday night would have been the most spectacular (away from the city lights), even though the comet was hidden behind the trees. the tail just stretched right up into the sky in waves. saturday night we could actually see the comet, but the tail was much shorter.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It's nice to know that your time isn't being wasted ;)
My appologies to anyone looking for Tuesdays times and chart. I was unable to get onto the net.
Glad that all of you, and your families, have had a chance to see it. It really is worth seeing.

Unfortunatelly, it's starting to fade, but it will still be visible naked eye for atleast another week, it just won't be as spectacular as it has been.
Another problem is our Moon, it will be getting a lot brighter and setting later, lighting up the sky and blowing out the faint tail. At full Moon it may be difficult to see the comet at the rate it's fading.

POL + Stuster, there are a few groups campaigning against light pollution. Not just Astronomers but also greenie groups, because excessive light hours can affect native flora and fauna. There's also the theory that there is less crime in area's where street lights are not on all night! One argument to support this is that people wandering around outside a house at night with torches look very suspect! Makes sense. I certainly haven't seen any decrease in crime since lights went all-night. Seems to be just as many car crashes too. I wonder how much carbon pollution is created while making all the light pollution?

Tony, Glad you got to see it. I'm jealous you got to see Ikeya-Seki in '65. I've seen lots of photo's of it (including a book with a colour one from Kings Park, wow Perth looked different then!), but I was -10 at the time!
I can remember when the street lights used to turn off late. I'm pretty sure they turned off earlier than that here in Rocko, maybe midnight? Used to be a real treat when my brother and I snuck out of the house in the early morning to look at Halley's in '86 with mates and it was pitch-black outside! You are right about the first experience thing. For me it was Halleys at age 11, even though it was a very boring comet(this visit atleast), my memories of it(and the late nights out) are vivid. Just thinking about it brings back the music I used to listen to at the time!

jupiter, I went Marroning on opening night (the 12th+13th - best trip in years) and enjoyed the great dark skies, but the comet was still in the northern hemisphere then, bummer huh? I wish the season had started a week later :)
Having said that, I get pretty good dark sky here in Rocko, nuthin but black out over the Indian Ocean from South thru to about NorthWest when the lights of Garden Island start to interfere.

Cheers for the pic's Airgead and mobrien, They're great. I still prefer to shoot film and need to get my negs scanned, but I had a go with my mum's very old Canon powershot on Sat. night. Didn't have the guts to post the photo tho because it's pretty crap. Here goes anyway:
small.jpg

The photo is actually a combination of four. The individual images were very very noisy(see next pic below) as they were shot at iso400 to capture the faint extremeties of the tail, instead of the usual iso50 which is great for day shots. (a 8x speed increase) The camera is limited to 15sec exposures. If I could go longer, I'd leave it set to a nice clean iso50.
The four images are aligned on the head of the comet, and any noise in the image starts to get cancelled out, detail comes thru and contrast increases. You may have noticed the blurry fence in the foreground, this is due to alignment of the moving comet/stars and unmoving fence in 4 photo's! Compare with fence in photo below. Also note that the horizon has been blured.
I seem to have caught just as much tail as the pro guys(see Gordon Garradd's and Rob McNaught's photo's), but I just seriously lack all the resolution of the pro digital's :(

One of the individual noisy iso400 shots(top), you can see the difference!
iso50 on bottom, with less tail(earlier shot tho)
noise.jpg
noise_50.jpg

EDIT: speelig, images

Times and chart for Wed. 24th.

The following times are for comet set only, best view is probably 20-30 mins before set time:
Darwin @ 8:18pm
Brisbane @ 8:37pm
Sydney @ 10:31pm
Perth @ 10:38pm
Canberra @ 10:52pm
Adelaide @ 11:01pm
Melbourne @ 11:45pm
Hobart @ 12:17am (Thur. morn)

Finder chart: (@ sunset)
Wed-24-01-07.gif

EDIT: grrrr

Thanks for the info Simon. I got to see Mcnaught last night. Lucky I went out early with the binoculars because the cloud stared rising from the horizon about 25 minutes before comet set. This is the third sighting in my life (Halley's and Hale Bop are the other two).

Cheers for the pic's Airgead and mobrien, They're great. I still prefer to shoot film and need to get my negs scanned, but I had a go with my mum's very old Canon powershot on Sat. night.

I still prefer film. Only problem is all I have at the moment is B/W and my darkroom is serving as a brewery at the moment till I can get my new shed built. I work as a photographer as a side gig and professionally I will have to go digital this year. its too hard to use film these days. Everyone wants their proofs now and can't possibly wait a day for me to get films developed. I have my eye on a rather nice Canon D30...

Never thought of summing a number of shots to cancel noise and bring out the tail. I'll fire up photoshop tonight and see what I can come up with. I tried 800 ISO but on the little canon it was just crap. 200 seemed to give the best results.

Cheers
Dave

Hiya Peels, glad you've had a chance to see it. I also saw Hale-Bopp, it was awesome, but the northern hemisphere got it much better than we did, shame it wasn't as speccy for us.

Airgead, I only shoot B/W. I have no idea what slide film is available today that is suitable for astronomy(colour spectrum coverage is very important, as is reciprocity failure), all the old favorites have either been removed from the market, or 'improved'

I'm still mourning the death of Kodak TechPan, I didn't get enough time to get serious wih this amazing film. Was half way thru building a hypersensitising rig when the announcement was made.... DOH!
Would be nice if some other manufacturer bought the emulsion formula.

Hehe, my darkroom is also my brauhaus, model engineering room, electronics engineering room, etc etc (and general junk room)

Regarding stacking images, the more the better, some people use 30+ images.
There are lots of tricks that can be done, and there are packages that are far more powerfull than Photoshop(including freeware) for processing.
Most techniques are old film tricks, eg: dodging, burning, unsharp masking, taking dark frames and flatframes etc.
Some people think this is 'cheating'.
In my mind, If the information is there in the image, why not bring it out? Film has much more density dynamic range(around 1000:1 !) than photo paper, and definatelly more than computer monitors(256:1 !), so there must be 'density compression' of some sort to fix the problem.
I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to digital processing! Don't even know if what I did was right, but it seems to work.

The 'guru' for this stuff is Jerry Lodriguss, his Digital Image Processing page is a goldmine!

Have fun!
Simo

Just been outside and looked, it has moved alot since Friday evening when it was over the sun, now it is in the southwest with a spectacular tail.

Kahoutek (sp?) back in I think 1995 had a bigger head.

So often, when you see pictures, they are taken through a telescope and almost impossible to see with the naked eye. This one is huge, like a spotlight beam pointing up, but with a curve. The tail extends maybe a third of the way up to the centre of the sky.

Comet Hyakutake?
I have absolutelly no idea how I missed that one, I must have been living in a cave or something!

Times and chart for Thurs. 25th

LOL, my times for Darwin and Hobart have been all over the place, was guestimating their lat+long co-ordinates. Got accurate co-ord now, not that it matters for Tassie anymore tho.

The following times are for comet set only, should become visible around 30mins after sunset, best view is probably 20-30 mins before it's set time:
Darwin @ 8:20pm
Brisbane @ 8:42pm
Sydney @ 10:41pm
Perth @ 10:46pm
Canberra @ 11:02pm
Adelaide @ 11:10pm
Melbourne @ 11:48pm
Hobart @ Circumpolar (as of today, it never sets again!)

thu-25-01-07.gif

Airgead, I only shoot B/W. I have no idea what slide film is available today that is suitable for astronomy(colour spectrum coverage is very important, as is reciprocity failure), all the old favorites have either been removed from the market, or 'improved'

I'm still mourning the death of Kodak TechPan, I didn't get enough time to get serious wih this amazing film. Was half way thru building a hypersensitising rig when the announcement was made.... DOH!
Would be nice if some other manufacturer bought the emulsion formula.

I have one last roll of techpan in the deep freeze. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

There isn't much work being done on film for astro these days. Most of it is digital. Last I heard people were getting good results with the (then) new Fiji Provia 400F. I have used it for terestrial work and its great stuff. Very fine grain and pushable to 1600 without too much gain in contrast. Apparently it also shows very low reciprocity failure as well. The 100 is finer grained but suffers more from reciprocity. Colour spectrum on both is good too. They have the 4 colour layers so they don't suffer from the usual blue/green gap that most others do. If they didn't cost so much I would use them more. The Fuji NPC400 neg film has good colour too and the grain is pretty good as well. Doesn't do so well for astro as like all colour neg films reciprocity is a problem.

I used to use mostly Ilford Delta400 for astro work. I was building a 3 colour filter wheel so I could do the 3 exposure colour thing under the enlarger but kidfs and stuff kinda got in the way.

I'll no doubt switch to digital when I get the D30. *sigh* I'm going to miss film but there's not much choice these days.

I'll have to resurrect my old barn door mount and get back into the astrophotography. Its been too long since I did any serious work.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks SimonW

saw it tonight in a light polluted Melbourne sky but still more impressive than any comet I've seen before. Can't match the impressive photos though.

cheers, Arnie

We sat on top of our mountain last night and watched the comet become visible.

It was a good night for viewing, no clouds, a good sunset, warm and no breeze. Off in the distance we could see the lights from 3 distant farmhouses and a spotlighter. We also heard a koala calling and a fox. Small batz flew overhead after insects. The coloured sky deepened to night and the stars came out. At about 9.04pm Eastern daylight time, the comet became visible to the naked eye.

As the night deepened, we consumed a few fine lagers including Oktoberfest, Munich Helles and Maibock while watching the sky. Then the beer ran out and we went back to the house to organise dinner.

A great night out.

The moon is waxing and as its light increases, the comet will not be as spectacular, so get out there tonight and check it out.

Happy Australia Day everyone!
Hope you all have a good time, don't get too wobbly, you'll regret it tomorrow!

Airgead, cheers for the tip for rev. film. I had noticed last I looked that there was very little film chat on the Astrophotography mailing list, bit of a shame. The only benefit of the move to digital is the price of medium format gear dropping. Thinking about kitting up sometime soon. Just gotta decide which system.

I also noticed on the APML, that a lot of people did what you've done, stored bulk rolls of TechPan in the freezer. Thought about this myself, but hadn't the cash at the time, It's expensive stuff as you know.

D400pro is good stuff, got a few rolls in the fridge. Also got a bulk roll of D100pro, unfortunatelly this doesn't respond so well to H-alpha, but good if trying to get anything other than emission nebulae.

Hehe, my old barndoor is getting a makeover soon, I'm tired of sitting there for 30mins watching a clockface and turning the dial. Working on a stepper motor drive, a shutter servo, coding software for an old PalmIII organiser(early days!) and have worked out an easy mod to the barndoor to double exposure lengths.( I can't believe no-one else has thought of it -- that is, I've never seen it done). Should be able to correct for tracking error and extend exposures to 1 hour or more with this.
I'm on the hunt for some Kodak Wratten filters for tri-colour work if you know where to look? Camera swapmeets have been fruitless.
Need 25, 58, and 47B, or close equivalents in 62mm or bigger(got steprings).
Only have a 55mm K2 (wratten #8) which has been very helpfull for eliminating blue 'halos' from bright stars in the field of a cheap-n-nasty 28mm lens.

POL, Damn I wish I had a dark sky as freely accessable as yours is.
One day I might fullfill my dream and move to the country, but it's looking more distant now that the Perth land/housing price has skyrocketed and taken country land value with it. :(
Some very fine beers there! I go all Homer (mmmm beer. drooool!) when I think of German lagers, just wish I could brew a decent clone of a Koenig Ludwig Dunkel, or an Ayinger Celebrator. :super:

Times and chart for Fri. 26th

The following times are for comet set only, it should become visible around 30mins after sunset, best view is probably 20-30 mins before it's set time:
Darwin @ 8:22pm
Brisbane @ 8:48pm
Sydney @ 10:49pm
Perth @ 10:53pm
Canberra @ 11:13pm
Adelaide @ 11:20pm
Melbourne @ Midnight
Hobart @ Circumpolar (never sets. At its lowest, due south @ around 1:45am Sat. morn.)

fri-26-01-07.gif

Times and chart for Sun. 28th

There's probably nothing to see now(I've had cloud for last two days), but here 'tis anyway.

The following times are for comet set only, it should become visible around 30mins after sunset, best view is probably 20-30 mins before it's set time:
Darwin @ 8:24pm
Brisbane @ 8:57pm
Sydney @ 11:06pm
Perth @ 11:07pm
Canberra @ 11:33pm
Adelaide @ 11:39pm
Melbourne @ 12:33am (Mon. morn.)
Hobart @ Circumpolar (never sets. At its lowest, due south @ around 1:45am Mon. morn.)

Sun-28-01-07.gif

Hehe, my old barndoor is getting a makeover soon, I'm tired of sitting there for 30mins watching a clockface and turning the dial. Working on a stepper motor drive, a shutter servo, coding software for an old PalmIII organiser(early days!) and have worked out an easy mod to the barndoor to double exposure lengths.( I can't believe no-one else has thought of it -- that is, I've never seen it done). Should be able to correct for tracking error and extend exposures to 1 hour or more with this.
I'm on the hunt for some Kodak Wratten filters for tri-colour work if you know where to look? Camera swapmeets have been fruitless.
Need 25, 58, and 47B, or close equivalents in 62mm or bigger(got steprings).
Only have a 55mm K2 (wratten #8) which has been very helpfull for eliminating blue 'halos' from bright stars in the field of a cheap-n-nasty 28mm lens.

Mine's the double arm type. Near circular camera path so I could get exposures of around an hour. Last time I checked theer was plenty on the web about the double arm trackers. I'm working on the stepper motor drive too. The main problem is preventing the screw from binding as the angle changes.

I've picked up some wierd and wonderful stuff camera wise on ebay. You can probably pick up some Wratten filters there. Also try Cokin. They do filters in equivalent colours.

Cheers
Dave

I did consider building a double-arm type tracker years ago, opted for the simpler single arm as a start tho, and then stuck with it.
I have a decent range of tools now so might have to look into the double-arm again.
My mod should work with the double-arm too. 2 hour exposures? Definatelly stepper drive!

I've not had the feedscrew bind, I ground the end of mine to a point, then rounded it off(maybe 1mm?) and it slides along a strip of stainless sheet screwed to the underside of the arm.

Feebay, forgot about that place, boycotted it years ago, might have to go snoop around a bit.
I totally forgot I have some Cokin filters(87A and a gradND) and a holder here that a friend gave to me. Cheers for the reminder!

Times and chart for Tuesday 30th evening and Wednesday 31st morning.

I've not been able to see anything for some time now due to the weather in Perth, but I've been told it is still easilly visible.
Due to the comet heading in the direction of the Southern Celestial Pole(the stars appear to revolve around this point in the sky) It's heading higher into the sky and setting later. It's also possible to catch it in the mornings, although not nearly as bright or for as long as in the evenings - depending on where you live. Times have been added for this too.
The moon could be a problem as it moves from our evening to morning sky.

An interview with the comet's discoverer, Rob McNaught, was recently posted HERE on the IceInSpace Forums. Interesting reading if your into that kinda thing.

Tuesday evening:
The following times are for comet SET only, it should become visible around 30mins after Sunset, best view is probably 20-30 mins before it's set time:

Darwin @ 8:25pm
Brisbane @ 9:06pm
Perth @ 11:21pm
Sydney @ 11:23pm
Canberra @ 11:55pm
Adelaide @ Midnight
Melbourne @ 1:30am (Wed. morn.) Tail visible all night, only head disappears below horizon.
Hobart @ Circumpolar (never sets. At its lowest, due south @ around 1:40am Wed. morn.)

Wednesday morning:
The following times are for comet RISE, followed by Sunrise.
Visibility is unknown to me at this stage, best view is probably anywhere after comet rise up to 20-30 mins before Sunrise:

Hobart @ Circumpolar (never sets. At its lowest, due south @ around 1:40am Wed. morn.)
Melbourne @ 2:15am, Sunrise @ 6:30am
Canberra @ 3:10am, 6:20am
Sydney @ 3:27am, 6:15am
Brisbane @ 3:29am, 5:19am
Adelaide @ 3:30am, 6:33am
Perth @ 4:12am, 6:40am
Darwin @ 6:08am, 6:40am (don't like yer chances)

If the above times look wierd, ie: for Brisbane comet rise before cities of southern latitudes, daylight saving time is the culprit. I may even have stuffed up the DST adjustment for these, I'm too tired to go back and double check! :D

Tue. EVENING Finder chart: (@ Sunset)
Tue-30-01-07eve.gif

Wed. MORNING Finder chart (@ Comet rise): Look South-SouthEast
Wed-31-01-07morn.gif

Well Simon,
I found it last night on a bearing of about 200 degrees, but i'm dammed if I can see it tonight. There seems to be a bit of haziness in the air

an email picture doing the rounds atm. australia-day fireworks at hillaries on the left, comet in the middle and lightning storm bearing down on the right.
00118aus_auspva0.jpg

Admin EDIT: original website acknowledgment http://www.jkemppainen.com/antti/

Back