Come Someone Explain Some Webhosting Stuff?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy. I'm looking at starting a business website (non brewing related...) and have been looking at different companies offering domain name registration and web hosting as well as SSL stuff..

Can someone tell me why some sites want $65/yr for domain registration, and some only $17/yr.

Then some places want $10/mo for webhosting 1Gig storage and 3 Gig traffic, then another place is $6/mo for 15Gig storage and 5gig traffic.

Both of them appear to offer the same features and guaranteed uptime etc (apart from the data and bandwidth numbers mentioned above)... why is there such an enourmous variation in price? I know there must be something I dont know about or I'm not seeing...

And thats just 2 out of 3 that I've looked at, out of about 100000000000000 to choose from.

Please? :p I know how many of you guys are in IT...someone must know!

From those proces it looks like you are considering shared hosting rather than your own dedicated server.

With shared hosting one physical server sitting in a data centre somewhere (with a single connection to the Internet) hosts many websites. Many shared hosts will oversell their server. They tell each user that they can have lots of bandwidth and lots of data storage but hope that they won't actually use it all.

Another problem is that each of those sites sitting on a single shared server will have different traffic levels. So if your website is on a shared server and one of the other sites on that same server is very popular then that means your website could run slower, despite your website not actually using many of the available server resources.

With a cheaper host you could also be lucky and end up getting your website sitting on a shared server which has a lot of websites that don't generate much traffic at all.

Basically, how much you should pay, depends upon how critical your website is.

I have used godaddy in the past, they are reasonably cheap and I have found them reliable.

Another option if you are looking at a large amount of media content (lots of pictures and videos) which you want to have faster bandwidth is to use a small shared host for the webpages to be served from but set up a separate account with someone who sells cloud storage like Amazon S3 for your media server.

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks! :)

Just tried to check out godaddy. Their website is full of asp errors and I can't view anything except the homepage...not looking good so far. Hopefully it's resolved soon.

i just got a domain with godaddy (my second) and it cost me $1.99 :D

Sammus

I do this kind of thing for a living (<SHAMELESSPLUG> www.airgeadstudio.net </SHAMELESSPLUG>. As someone said, the cost is partly down to the level of service you are getting and partly down to how much they think they can stick you for.

Wholesale, a domain registration is around US$8/year depending on the kind of volumes you are buying. Hosting for that domain will cost you anything from $1/month up to thousands depending on what sort of capacity you need. Site design and setup you either need the skills yourself, need to know someone with the skills who will do it for beer or need to pay someone to do it for you. Our plans start at $5/month and go up from there. We basically break even on the hosting so that's pretty much wholesale rates for what you get. We make our $ on the design and maintenance. We also give discounts to brewers...

If you want any more info on anything, send me a PM and I can go through it with you.

Cheers
Dave

for hosting I can thoroughly reccomend Jumba, they are a large Aussie company and they have templates already made and setup. you just click what you want and away you go :)

cost me around 50 bucks a year, well worth it!