Combining Flavors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55 isn't very bitter. It depends what stout you want. If you want export stout use 2 cans and some black patent along with some LDME.

Yes it is. It's very bitter. I don't think there's an Aussie commercial beer that's half that.

55 is IPA bitterness. Unless it's balanced with a lot of malt, it's going to be battery acid.

and to answer your question, no u wont get a black and tan if you do a toucan with a real ale and a stout kit
U will just get a stronger stout.

<br />Yes it is. It's very bitter. I don't think there's an Aussie commercial beer that's half that. <br /><br />55 is IPA bitterness. Unless it's balanced with a lot of malt, it's going to be battery acid.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I still disagree. It depends on what you drink. 55 is not very high with the stouts I drink.

OP has stated that s/he likes malty beers rather than bitter beers and wasn't aware that hops provide bitterness so I believe it's pretty likely that they might find 55 IBU bitter.

55 is bitter to non-hop heads

Yep I like malty types without bitterness, the only commercial beers I drink are czech styles and stout(sorry to all confirmed aussie type beer drinkers, and yes I am aussie born and breed :D ) so i am hoping to combine the malty flavour of stout with the sweetness of czech, if i fail i will have very happy drunken chickens and ducks as i will soak their bread in it and just keep trying. I think I better get a second drum so i can make one tried and true for fam and one experimental for me.

Hi mate,
I added a stout to a dark ale recently, but i also added a kg of dry dark malt and treacle as well. I like my stouts thick black and rich. If i were you id add your stout can to a can of unhopped amber or dark malt extract. Otherwise i think to hopped cans will be too bitter for you. If you want even less bitterness maybe go for half a stout can, a can of dark or amber malt extract and half a kg of dry dark malt. Experementing is half the fun. Good luck

I'd try Stout + ME + Lactose (which will give your stout sweetness)

thanks everyone, anyone tried a beer called hobgoblin, the local brew shop guy thinks this might be the flavour i am looking for if so he has the recipe, problem is i cant find it locally they are out of stock, i like the suggestions you have all made and i am getting excited about trying them out, better pull my finger out and get another drum to experiment in.

thanks, i have saved this site "hopville" with the recipe, looks a bit involved but what the hell as soon as i have the time i will copy it out or try and get bloody printer working and get ingred and give it a go.

My first brew seems to be doing well ready to refridgerate tomorrow, only one popped cap, happened last week tasted it, passed it around, got the seal of approval and no-one got poisoned, i would call that a success.

I have put a draught in last monday and it is due to start testing tomorrow but it is still very cloudy, should i wait until cloudyness clears before testing.

Latest posts

Back